Chapter Six: Shift

Chapter Seven: Shift

    I've heard that there's five steps to the grieving process.

     Denial was the first. Yes, I was denying that Trevor had just ran off. I was denying that he looked at me with so much hatred. I was denying that I was a wolf with an all male pack. So far, denial didn't seemed to be working like I hoped it would.

     Then there was anger. I was plenty angry. Couldn't even let me explain could you, Trevor? No, just go an assume that... what the hell had he assumed anyways? That I was trying to run away? That I was planning to attack someone?

     Then there was bargaining. The one I was currently going through, and perhaps the worst and most humiliating step of the five.

     “Dani?” Brent asked nudging my hind leg with his nose gently to get my attention. My eyes didn't move from the trees where Trevor disappeared through over an hour ago, but my body moved a fraction of a inch due to his little shove.

     Brent arrived about ten minutes after Trevor's departure and joined Joseph in trying to get me to respond to them. But I wouldn't, or really I couldn't.

    I have tried to move, really I have, but my legs refuse to cooperate with me. They seem to think that if I stayed where I was long enough, then Trevor would come back. He would say he was sorry, that he didn't mean to hurt my feelings, and that I was his everything.

    It was hard to hear Brent and Joseph's voice over my own thoughts of how I could possible make Trevor listen to me as I explained why I was running like that. Well, after I figure out why myself.

    Please let him come back I pleaded silently to myself, Brent and Joseph could also hear, but I thought of it as to myself. I'll do anything. I'll cut off a finger, burn a church, kill Brent for the good of women kind. Please just name the price and I'll pay it.

    “Whats that supposed to mean?” Brent demanded nudging me again, this time harder.

    “Pup?” Joseph said after a moment, cutting through my thought of trying to go to Trevor and explain it to him. “You know you can't do that yet. Your still young, and don't have enough control on your emotions to transform yet.”

    I growled deep in my throat.

     “See?” Joseph said.

     “He's right Dani. You could hurt those closest to you, and as much as I don't like that witch and vampire, I'm sure you would regret pouncing on them.” Brent said voicing his opinion in the matter as he stepped in front of me, cutting off my view of the trees.

     Again I growled. “I wouldn’t hurt them.”

     Brent nodded, but it was Joseph who said, “You wouldn't mean to. But you still would. We are naturally draw to killing other supernaturals that are in are territory. Its are basic instincts for the first few weeks.”

     “Then I'll avoid Saya which shouldn't be to hard since shes still in the hospital, and from what you've told me Cathy is with her twenty-four-seven. There's no other supernaturals here other then them. So I'll be fine. But I need to talk with Trevor. I need to make things right.” I whispered, turning away from Brent's sympathetic stare to look at Joseph.

     His face was closed off, and his mental barrier was up. “There are many other supernaturals in the village. If you knew how many, you probably would never be able to get a decant nights sleep in the dark ever again.”

    I stared at him as fear slowly started to creep through my body. I was hoping Joseph to laugh and say that was just a joke but he just stared at me for a long moment before he shook his head slowly.