Chapter 3: Fallen Sensei

As the three ninjas move through the hidden parts of the apocalyptic city, Donatello tries to get more answers out of Destiny, but she refuses.

"I promise I'll tell you everything once we get to Master Splinter. It'll make more sense then," she insists, never slowing her running as they follow after Michelangelo.

Donnie doesn't respond to that, knowing that his sister will keep her promise. They keep running, eventually disappearing into a hidden tunnel. When they reemerge from the tunnel, they're outside the city in the woods, around the same place where they spent a few months at April's farmhouse. Mikey keeps going, never slowing down as Destiny and Donnie follow. Eventually, the orange-clad turtle slows to a stop. Destiny stops immediately after, her face set in a grim yet respective glare.

"Guys? What are you-" Donnie starts.

Mikey grips his face and twists it towards a small clearing, pointing. Only then does the purple-masked turtle notice the two gravestones, one with an emerald staff leaning against it, the other with a pink mask.

"Master Splinter?" Donnie croaks, his eyes welling up with tears. He moves forwards, collapsing onto the ground and punching the dirt. "No...NO!"

"It isn't much, but we thought it was the nicer than someplace in the city," Mikey says as him and Destiny move closer to the two graves. His blue eyes remain focused on the second stone, his face pained.

"This future...it's so terrible!" Donnie moans, tears running down his face.

"You get used to it," his brother replies. He straightens up. "I'll be waiting somewhere else. Don't take too long."

He turns and strides away, leaving Donnie with Destiny. She sighs and sits down, watching him sympathetically.

"Splinter died protecting us," she explains, her voice soft in the silent forest. "When Sarina turned to the dark side, Splinter gave his life giving us enough time to escape."

Donnie shakily looks up at her, sniffing as he wipes his eyes. "What about you and the guys? What happened?"

She hugs her knees to her chest, her eyes still reflecting extreme sadness. "After you left and Annalise died, the first thing Raphael did was order Taylor to leave the city. She argued, of course, but Raph insisted that she needed to be safe. She got out before it went bad too, so she's in Europe with her mom and her step-family," she explains. "Raph assumed that, this way, she would either be safe or he wouldn't have to be around to see her go."

He shakes his head, overwhelmed. "Raph...Raph loves Taylor. How could he-"

"It was because he loves her, Donnie. He found it easier to be away from her and never know whether she's still alive or not." She wipes her eyes, the dark scars on her face maker her look meaner than she really is. "When every girl except me was gone, Raph and Leo started arguing more and more. I won't go into details about them, but it wasn't good. The more they fought, the worse Leo's mood got. Raph blamed Leo for not going back and saving Splinter, Mikey blamed Sarina for Annalise's capture, Leo sunk deeper into self pity and feeling like he was a failure...and the very air around them became like poison. That was when I left, just trying to get some air, and I was captured."

She stops talking, her heart aching heavily. Donnie moves closer to her, his face sympathetic.

"What did Shredder do to you?" he asks softly.

She hugs her knees even tighter to her chest. "I...I was tortured. They wanted to know where our camp was. I refused to tell them. Then, they strapped me to a table and held a knife to the stalks of my wings, and they told me that they would cut them off unless I told." Her face twists with guilt and she squeezes her eyes shut. "I was weak, Donnie. I cracked. I told them, and they still cut them off. They cut them off and then they left me in my agony to go after the others. Leo and Raph were hurt because of me, so many people died...all because I was too weak, all because I thought they'd let me keep my wings if I snapped."

Destiny doesn't hold it back anymore, breaking down and sobbing into her knees. Donnie doesn't hesitate to wrap his arms around her, carefully avoiding the stumps on her back.

"Des, you aren't weak. You're one of the strongest mutants I know," he attempts to comfort her.

She pulls away, the torment in her eyes making him stop everything.

"Don't lie to me, Donatello. You weren't around, you don't know how bad it was. I don't deserve to be alive anymore. I don't know how I'm still alive."

"Don't say that," he insists. "You did just fine before you had your wings, and I definitely don't think that you should be dead."

"I'm grounded. Once you can fly, it's hard to fall back down to the ground and not be able to get back up," Destiny says. "Besides, you don't understand what I mean when I say that I don't know how I'm still alive."

"Enlighten me then."

"I'm going to be blunt. I'm part wolf, and wolves have been known to mate for life. I'm both human and wolf, and most humans remain faithful to one person." She takes a deep breath. "Leo and I...did some things, and because of that, we're 'mates'. Thing is, after I betrayed them, I couldn't be around them anymore...and Leo couldn't believe I would do that to them. He left, and soon after Raph followed and took his own path." She brushes a stray curl behind her human ear and sucks in a breath. "The heartbreak I experienced should've killed me, but somehow I'm still alive when I should be gone. After they left, Mikey and I were alone. I think I would be gone if he wasn't still around," she admits, forcing a pained smile. "We were a team. Without you...without your calm, it just didn't work anymore."

Donnie doesn't respond immediately, his mind still reeling with knowledge of the events he missed. His fun loving prankster of a little brother lost the girl he loves, becoming cold and distant. His sister, one of the strongest and most ambitious people he's ever met, is heartbroken and doesn't believe she should be alive. His brothers are gone, but he can't even begin to imagine how they're doing. His father, his Sensei, dead...

Lastly, there's Sarina. Brilliant, outgoing, confident Sarina, and she can't even remember who Donnie is. She doesn't remember that she loves him, and that makes Donnie's heart hurt more than ever, like shards have impaled themselves in his heart.

"Des, it can't keep going on like this," he says finally, standing up and looking back towards the city.

"It can and it will," Destiny responds as she stands up.

"No, it won't. I won't let it." His gaze grows incredibly determined as he places a hand on his hip. "We're going to take down the Shredder."

"You really are crazy, huh?" Mikey comments as he reenters. Donnie looks up at him again, and he sighs. "I got tired of waiting for you. Chop chop."

"Mikey, you have to help. We can do it, okay? Shredder doesn't have to keep ruling over us like this," the first brother insists.

"This is the way it is, Don." The orange-masked turtle's voice remains sullen, his face registering sadness instead of coldness.

"It's not the way it has to be. If we face the Shredder-"

"I don't know, Donnie. The last time we went up against the Shredder..." Destiny starts. She stops and shakes her head, her tail flicking. "We've tried far too much already."

"We'll do it again. I'm working on a plan." He turns to his brother. "Mikey, we'll need Leo and Raph."

Before Destiny can protest again, Mikey holds up a hand and stops her. "That's a tall order...but I might know someone who can help." He looks to his little sister, his lips pressing together into a thin line. "I think it's time we brought him back to base."

Destiny tenses, rubbing her arm slowly as her claws brush against the marks on them. "I...I don't know if I can go with you. Will they-"

"If they don't let you in, I'll force them to," he retorts, stepping closer to her and throwing his one arm around her shoulders. "That was years ago, and you've redeemed yourself. You're coming with us."

There's a moment of silence where Destiny stares at the ground, her mind racing with memories. Then, she lets out a heavy sigh and nods.

"Alright. Let's go."