Your Sweet Talk Always Was A Bit Much Chapter 2

Once Luke, Blake, and Sarah had finally gone I heaved a sigh of relief. Damien went along with them to do something or other. All I had caught was that he would bring back more booze and some food on his way home. Lex went to go take a shower and I headed to my room. It was pretty messy for my standards. I tried to keep the whole apartment as neat as possible, but I had quickly lowered my expectations after my first week here. But my room was sacrosanct. What with the messiness of my life, I had long ago decided that I needed some structure at least in my bedroom. There was nothing to be done but start cleaning up. It was a nice metaphor. I had gotten pretty good at being knocked down and having to clean up the emotional mess that I was left with. I wrinkled my nose at the thought. Nah, too nauseatingly poetic. I had always had to tell Noah to cut the cheesy crap with me. Grrr, I had to stop thinking about him.      

            For the second time that day, I felt two arms encircle my waist and a body being pressed against my back. “Hey, beautiful,” Lex murmured before kissing my shoulder.

            “Hey,” I answered in a low voice.

            “How was your day?” He asked in the same tone, running his hands up and down my arms.

            “Mmm,” I trailed, distracted by his hands. “Ok,” I finally got out. “Did you sleep off all the alcohol from last night?”

            He chuckled against my ear, making me shudder slightly. “Yeah. Sorry if I pulled anything last night. Not my finest hour.”

            “You behaved.”

            “Well that’s just mean, beautiful. I had the perfect excuse of a shit load of alcohol and I behaved? Please tell me I at least tried something,” Lex groaned.

            I laughed at that. “Sorry to disappoint, stud.”

            “Well,” Lex murmured kissing along my neck. “I guess that if I had done anything I would have been too drunk to remember it. And that would have been a waste.”

            I smiled despite myself. I could so easily forget everything and just enjoy myself for once. There was no reason not to. It was just sex, there didn’t have to be any emotional promises here. Noah had made me terrified to let any guy close to me in any sense. But just physically would be ok, wouldn’t it?

Screw it! I had to stop over thinking everything. I whirled around to face Lex, who looked shocked. I smirked before pulling his head down and pressing my lips against his. Lex was frozen for a few seconds. Probably trying to figure out if he was dreaming or not. I wrapped my arms around his neck and continued to kiss him until he snapped out of it and fiercely pulling me closer to him and kissing me back.

            Once we had showered and gotten dressed, Lex pulled me back to hug me. “As much as I hate to say this, I have to be somewhere… right now actually.”

            “That’s fine,” I said, trying to dismiss any concerns he might have for my feelings at the moment. I took his hand and pulled him out of my room, past the kitchen where Damien was putting away groceries, towards the front door. “Tardiness is a nasty habit that I shouldn’t encourage,” I teased. “So get out!”

            Lex laughed and dragged me closer, kissing the life out of me. “Just so you don’t forget,” he whispered as he let me go.

            “Trust me, I won’t be forgetting anytime soon,” I smirked.

            He had a ridiculous grin on his face as he went out the front door, closing it behind him. I smiled slightly to myself and made my way to the living room, turning on the tv and randomly choosing some channel playing a rerun of Family Guy.

“So when did you agree to finally give poor Lex a chance?” Damien asked as he flopped down onto the sofa.

            I shrugged. “He’s a decent guy. He’s waited around enough. What’s the worst that could happen? He’s finally got what he wants and will stop coming round? No great loss.”

            Damien chuckled. “Damn, that guy screwed you up good. Lex likes you, Mads, he’s not going to bolt now that he’s gotten some. And even if he did, it would be ok to be hurt by it.”

            “I wouldn’t be,” I said, my eyes fixed on the tv.

            “I’m sure that’s what every guy wants to her from the girl he’s hung up on.”

            “Hey, not my fault he likes me. I certainly didn’t encourage him. It’s also not my fault that I’m an emotional wreck who can’t handle any sort of commitment to a guy. I take it that you informed him of something along those lines in your ‘you hurt her, you’re dead, Harris’ speech. So, I’m not hiding anything; I never told him I liked him.”

            “You don’t think having sex with him might have given him the idea that you like him?” Damien asked, still chuckling.

            “Why, is that the impression you strive to give and get every time you have sex with a girl? You must really like a lot of girls, Da! Its amazing you don’t get confused with all those names and feelings swarming in that head of yours!”

            “Which head would that be?” he asked teasingly. “Yeah, ok, you got me on that one. But you’re not like that, Maddie! Or you weren’t before,” he trailed off.

            I sighed. “I’m not a cold-hearted bitch, I just don’t think I can get – invested in a guy again. Not right now. Ok?”

            “I know, Maddie,” Damien smiled sadly at me, tousling my hair.

            I scowled at him. “Enough with the ‘Maddie’!”

            He laughed in my face. “Why not, Maddie? Chris gets to call you Maddie!”

            “Exactly! Only my brother gets away with calling me Maddie, and even he has the decency not to do it very often!”

            “Eh,” he said, waving my argument off. “I’m as good as your brother. When Chris isn’t here, I’m your brother. Thus, I get to call you Maddie.” He grinned wickedly at me.

            I huffed unhappily, and turned my attention back to the tv.

            “Speaking of names: Madeleine? The people from your school call you Madeleine?”

            “Its my name.”

            “Technically. But I can’t remember anyone ever calling you that.”

            I shrugged, uninterested.

            “You never told them to call you Mads?”

            “I’ve never talked to them.”

            “Idiot.”

            “Jerk,” I retorted lamely.

            “Asocial moron. I know some of them, they’re not that bad. You could get along with some of them.”

            “Eh. Can’t be bothered.”

            Damien just muttered darkly to himself. I only caught single words, like ‘kill’, ‘Noah’, ‘bastard’, and ‘violently’. I laughed silently at him.