Chapter 20

Oliver wiped the fine sheen of sweat from his brow. All the arrangements for the evening were made. All that was missing was Felicity.

"Look at you, Starling City's vigilante, calm in the face of danger but apparently a complete wreck before a date. Well, a real date," Diggle teased as he watched Oliver pacing.

Oliver glared at him. "Shouldn't you be somewhere? Like with Carly?"

Diggle settled himself comfortably in one of the chairs by the computers. "She knows I'm with you. In fact, she made me promise not to arrive without some scoop."

Oliver rolled his eyes. "Scoop? Seriously? I think you need to spend less time around Thea."

Diggle laughed. "Alright. I'm sorry. I'm just not used to seeing you this…rattled. It's not exactly the norm."

Oliver continued to pace. "I'm glad my insecurities provide you with endless amusement."

"Come on. Where's that confidence with just a dash of arrogance? You've got this." Diggle asserted.

Oliver wished he felt as sure. Tonight was either going to be the best or worst night of his life. "I hope so."

"Man, you're really freaking out." Diggle looked surprised.

"I think 'freaking out' is a bit of a stretch, Dig." Or maybe not.

"Then why don't you sit down before you make me dizzy?"

Oliver stopped. "Sorry." He tugged at the cuffs of his open collared white shirt, having already discarded his silver blazer.

Diggle leaned forward in his chair. "Oliver, I know you. I know Felicity. There are no two people more perfect for one another. Just tell her how you feel."

"Easier said than done."

Diggle stood up, gathering his belongings. He patted Oliver on the back. "Relax. You're over-thinking this.

He probably was. "Thanks."

"Good luck." Diggle gave him a thumbs up as walked away.

Oliver hoped he didn't need it.

Felicity arrived at Verdant right on time. It was quiet outside, unusual for a night when the club was supposed to be open for business. Entering the front door, she made her way through the hall, the club almost completely in darkness. Confused, she walked on, following the route that lead to the main dance floor.

Rounding the corner, she gasped, stopping in her tracks. The whole room had been cleared save for the four poster canopy in the center of the floor, draped beautifully in volumes of white fabric, all tied back to reveal a lone round table beneath. Stepping closer, she noticed the table setting: a trio of orange blossoms, red roses and white jasmine lay delicately across two large white plates. Positioned alongside were dainty, stemmed crystal glasses.

There were candles everywhere, a single rotund white one in the middle of the table and hundreds of tealights in glass holders all about the room, their light flickering off the glass and chrome structures, casting a soft romantic glow.

Staring in astonishment, Felicity wasn't aware that Oliver was there until she felt a pair of strong arms snake around her waist, holding her from behind. Turning in his arms, her eyes wide with wonder, she whispered, "What is all this?"

Oliver linked his fingers behind the small of her back. "Our last dinner together was a bit of a disaster and I wanted to make it up to you."

"This is…," she was at a loss for words, a feat not easily accomplished. "It's beautiful," she breathed.