Chapter 15

Oliver was reeling, feeling shaky and out of breath. He had not planned to step into her home and ravish her, but when he'd seen her, dark circles evident beneath both eyes, all he'd felt was a possessive need to protect. He'd meant to hug her, perhaps a friendly kiss on the cheek. However, when he'd touched her, friendly had gone out the window and instinct had taken over.

He'd never imagined that she'd feel so good in his arms, so responsive to his touch, as eager as he was. He couldn't remember the last time he'd been that affected by a kiss. There'd been many women in his life, but not one of them had made him feel the way Felicity just had.

Ever since he'd met her, nothing had followed the expected route. She wasn't the type of woman he was used to: cool, calm and detached having always been his style. Instead, she was brutally honest in a rambling, round about kind of way, incredibly smart, compassionate and just a little bit peculiar. An interesting combination and one he'd never thought would be so intriguing to him.

He could hear her ragged breathing, as she too tried to gain some semblance of control. In truth, he wanted nothing more than to resume their pleasurable pursuit, but he knew they needed to talk and with his hands glued to her tempting curves, talking was the last thing on his mind.

He set her away from him with great reluctance. "The first thing you need to know is that I'm not going to apologise for kissing you. I wanted to."

"O-Oh." She flushed. "Well, I think it's fairly obvious that I wanted to kiss you too."

There's that honesty again.

He gently swept a lock of hair behind her ear. "I think I know why you're mad at me."

Her eyes clouded briefly. "I-I'm sorry. I shouldn't have behaved that badly. I-I was just feeling a little down and…it was pointless and juvenile, I know. I guess-"

"Felicity, you have nothing to be sorry for." Grasping her hand he led her over to the couch.

Sitting side by side, she was looking everywhere but at him. "I was an idiot last night. I should have realised that you'd feel a little…out of place." He watched as she squirmed uncomfortably. "Then Laurel came and I guess I just assumed you knew we were over."

Her head snapped up as her eyes met his, doubt unmistakable in their depths. "Over?"

Oliver nodded emphatically. "A long time ago. Apart from the fact that she's now with my best friend – former best friend-." He started again, "What I'm trying to say is that even if she wasn't, we wouldn't be together."

Felicity huffed. "That's not true. I saw you together, Oliver. I saw that spark, that thing…"

He interrupted. "What you think you saw isn't the same as what actually is. Even before Laurel and I dated, we were friends – we're still friends. There's years of history between us – something I can't ever erase. I wouldn't want to. She's a part of my past, a part of the man I used to be. I don't want to be that man anymore," he concluded softly.

Felicity's expression wavered between uncertainty and wanting to believe him. "But you loved her."

"I did. She was exactly what I wanted back then. Now, I'm a different person and I don't want that anymore." He watched as she struggled to accept his words. "I'm not looking for a temporary diversion to amuse myself until the right time comes along for Laurel and I to be together."

"How can you be so sure? What if you're wrong?"

Oliver looked at her intently. "I'm sure because I've moved on. There is no going back."