Love Burns - Chapter Four

Love burns

Copyright © 2011 All rights reserved

A joint project of crimsonnebula and xangelsmomx

Chapter Four

Enjoy!

*************************

Nathaniel's Point of View

‘How dare he show up at my school’, I thought to myself angrily, thinking every single cuss word that described my playboy of a brother. After all these years-as a teacher of all things-he had to show up here in Cleveland and what was worst, he came to my school. If that ignoramus think that he was going to come frolicking back in my life and ruin yet again the little piece of happiness that I had finally found for myself, he had another coming. This would not be another repeat of what he had done to me many centuries before.

After many long years of searching and after all of the waiting I may have finally found my special someone. The one that I think I am truly in love with. My only obstacle was coercing her to believe that she loved me too. One day, I thought, I would convince her of our love and then I can hopefully break this wretched curse.

I glanced over at Pandora who was sitting just caddy corner to me. Her head was down and she was doodling in her notebook looking as beautiful as ever. Her dark hair enhanced her pale complexion and those lips, man what I would do to kiss those perfect red luscious lips.

“Mr. Adams, ” I heard Max’s annoying voice call out to me.

Looking up, I narrowed my gaze on him. He was getting on my nerves right now.

“Yea?” I replied curtly. How the heck did he even manage to get a teaching job anyway, especially English? The only thing that I had ever known Maximus to study was the art of undressing women in less than two minutes. Now that was something that he should have been able to teach effortlessly.

Maximus the Great. He thinks that he had some type of authority over me and could give me detention just because he felt like it. Yeah right, I snorted as I brooded more and more over the idea, detention my ass. I don’t think so.

“We’re all waiting for your answer?” he said smiling slyly back at me.

I just bet you are.

Clearing my throat, I sat up a little straighter getting my cool juices flowing. “I’m sorry,” I said not daring to look away from my dear brother. “I didn’t hear the question, you want to run that one by me again,” I replied smoothly while leaning back in my chair and crossing my hands over my chest.

Maximus was leaning on his desk as he stared back at me. For the briefest of seconds I thought I caught a hint of sadness in his eyes but it was gone just as fast it appeared. I figured he must have had something in his eyes because the Great Maximus cared for no one or anything other than himself.

He pushed himself up from the desk and stalked towards me. He slapped a book on my desk causing a loud bang to echo throughout the room.

“I asked, Mr. Adams,” Max said coolly while leaning over my desk, “do you think that it was right for Hester Prynne to keep the father of her child a secret in the novel The Scarlet Letter?”

Maximus’s dark eyes were pinned on me and I could see that little vein throb in his temple, the same way it did a few times that I had ever known him take something serious.

I rested my elbows on my desk, threaded my fingers together and propped my chin on my hands.

“Hmm,” I stated dragging out the word. “Interesting question coming from you,” I said mockingly while stroking my chin. The class around me erupted in laughter but there was one laugh that I clearly heard above all others. It was like sweet music to my ears and I would recognize it anywhere; my Panda.