Chapter 3

A/N

I want to thank you guys for reading... even if its only three people. I honestly thought no one would read this, because I have very low self esteem, but even if I only ever get three readers, I'll keep updating anyways. Who knows, this may be the very first story I'll actually finish!

-Ryvrsong

Chapter 3:

I woke up behind my house, dazed and a little bit confused. Just as my eyes had grown accustomed to the candle light floating through the windows, my memories of the night came crashing into my mind. I franticly look around for the egg, and find it underneath a bush close by. I sigh knowing no one has found it. I get up, and find that my deer and rabbits have also been brought with me. I silently thanked Rfeld, and dragged the deer over to the shed where I would store it for the night. I then walked over to where the egg was. I carefully picked it up, afraid of breaking it.

"Hello little dragon. I do not think you can hear me, but I will be your mother, and best friend now." I smiled as I looked at the egg. It was a bright red with a smooth surface. In my mind, I felt the now familiar pull that had first came when Rfeld had contacted me. I stared at the egg, wondering if the dragon was trying to make contact. I frowned, trying to think of how to comfort it.

Then, a thought came to me. 'Maybe if I think it, you can hear it!' I sent a picture of a calm lake, and sent feelings of love and warmth to the egg.

"Leeva, dear, what are you doing holding that rock?" I snapped my head up at the voice.

"Oh hello mother, sorry I was just admiring it. I found it during my hunt."

"Well stop standing around, your going to catch a cold, and you are late for dinner." My mother walked back into the house, rubbing her hands on her apron, with a scowl on her face. I sighed as I brought the egg inside with me.

Inside the house, there was a large table, a small fireplace, and a stone stove where mother did all of her cooking. The table was covered with half eaten plates of food, and one plate still covered in food which was obviously meant for me. Everyone had already left, so I started cleaning up the table.

"Mother, would you like me to bring this meat out to the shed to dry it? Or would you like to just throw it out?" I asked, knowing what her answer would be. It's always the same answer.

"Leeva, why don't you bring the untouched food over to Marci's house?" I nodded. Ever since I came of marrying age, my mother has been trying to get me to marry her friends son, Uther. Although he is very handsome, I was not yet ready to be a house wife. I enjoyed hunting too much to start the life of bearing children and cooking and cleaning.

"I'll be back mother!" I started the long walk over to Uther's house. I had a pack with the meat in it, and was carrying the red egg with me, unable to put it down for I was too scared that someone would steal it. I walked down the worn path through the woods. Marci's house was settled halfway towards the village center. It was only a 15 minute walk, but it was dark out, and every shadow seemed to be filled with danger.

Once I saw the candle light filtering through the trees, I broke into a run. Once I reached the house, I took several breathers before I knocked on their door.

"Oh hello Leeva!" I smiled at Marci's welcoming voice.

"Hi Marci! This is from my mother and I." I pulled off the pack and handed it to her.

"Oh thank you Leeva! Tell your mother I said thank you! Uther is in the back if you would like to speak with him. Feel free to stay the night, I won't bother you with walking home, and I'm sure your mother will understand." She smiled at me and backed into the house, motioning me to enter.

"Thank you Marci." I bowed my head and walked into the house.

I walked into the back. Marci's house was larger than mine, and had five rooms instead of the three that I had. I walked into the very back room which was designated as Uther's bedroom. I knocked on the door, and a very angry Uther whipped open the door.

"WHAT DO YOU WA-" He began shouting, but once he noticed I was standing there, he shut up and smiled. "Oh sorry about that Leeva, I thought my mother was going to pester me about marriage again. Come in come in." I smiled back at him.

"It's ok Uther, mothers will be mothers." I sat down on his bed, holding the egg on my lap. Uther sat down next to me.

"How have you been Leeva? I heard you were late coming back from your hunt. Did you get into any trouble?" He asked me, worry evident on his face.

I shook my head. "None, just took the long way home." He smiled.

"Good, I would hate to have to go kick some ass." He winked at me.

I pushed him slightly. "Uther! Your mother would murder you for using such language! And last week you couldn't even pick up a sword! What makes you think you could kill something?" I jokingly asked him.

His face lit up with excitement. "Oh you don't know do you Leeva? The king has asked me to join his knights! My father fell ill and he has requested that I was taught the way of the Knights and take his place at the Kings side! As of last week, I am officially a Knight in training!" I smiled and hugged him.

"Oh Uther that's great news! I feel horrible for your poor mother! First her husband puts his life on the line, and now her son! How is your father? Any news of his well being?" I asked him.

He looked down with a tear falling down his cheek.

"Leeva... He was back to health when a black dragon picked him up and flew away. We haven't seen him in three days." I could feel the tears coming, and I hugged Uther. "Im so sorry Uther." I comforted him the rest of the night, and held him in my arms as he fell asleep, and as I laid down beside him, letting sleep take over, there were two thoughts running through my head,

1) When would the egg hatch?

2) I wish I could stay with Uther like this forever.

A/N

Uther is pronounced Oo-ther

This chapter is a bit longer... Will Uther hate dragons now? Should Leeva tell him about the egg that is now hidden under his bed?