Chapter 23

At first all I could hear was my heart. Boom-boom-boom. Then my eyes adjusted to the darkness which actually wasn’t that dark. The grey still lit up the room but I could tell it was coming from the main computer. Everything else was dead. Before I could make any moves Mr White loomed up over me, his eyes illuminated in the darkness.

In his hand was a broken tip from a gun. Red blood dripped off the tip as he raised it over my head and his face twisted into a sneer.

“Dad!” We both turned to see Zachery running dead on towards Mr White who was in shock of seeing his son still alive. I scrambled backwards just as Zachery side tackled him, throwing them both into crushed boards. Zachery landed on top of his father, pressing a knee to his chest. Blood ran down the side of Mr Whites face, staining his hair copper. Mr White brought his elbow up and caught the side of Zachery’s jaw, effectively making him roll off.

“What do you think you’re doing, boy?” he hissed at Zachery before standing up. Zachery’s top lip looked puffy, and a small cut was glistening blood at the corner. In the faint lighting I could see a bruise forming on his cheekbone.

“Fighting. Just like you told me,” Zachery heaved, rolling onto his side. Blood sticked to his shirt on his back, dark red indicating where the blood had dried.

“Fighting against me? And for her?” he pointed his finger at my face like he was trying to erase just the sights of me with his finger. In his other hand, Mr White still gripped the broken metal tip and from here I could see his knuckles go completely white. Blood ran down the side of his face and I could see it dry already. He must have hit his head hard if he’s bleeding.

“Yes for her.” My chest tightened as he said those words. He could never take them back. Not even if he wanted to. Now he was apart of us. A monster in his father’s eyes. Mr White spat at his son in disgust, some of the saliva sticking to his chin.

“Disgusting!” he snarled. “You could have gone far Zachery. Instead you got caught up in them!” he leapt at his son, the broken metal tip aimed straight at his chest. Zachery managed to dodge the weapon, instead allowing it to graze his ribs. I couldn’t see how they were fighting in the dim lighting but there were a lot of grunts and curse words coming from the rolling black mass. Instead of got up and slipped past them, making a run for the computer.

I knew Mr Whites gun had imploded on itself, which sent a sonic boom to run through the small room. As I reached the computer I could see that the sonic blast hadn’t damaged the computer in any way except for plastering on a layer of dust. I rubbed away at the screen, which still showed all the access codes needed to turn off this computer. I clicked on the required code, which started to run a security scan. In two seconds it had finished and now I had access to shut it down.

“Arina!” Zachery screamed. I turned just in time to see Mr White as he physically flew through the air, hands outstretched towards my face. He crashed into me, sending my body forcefully crashing against the table. Pain flared up through my spine and a warm tingly feeling seeped into my back, through my shoulder blades. Mr Whites face loamed up and I realised just how evil he was. His white hair stuck up at odd angles, some of it plastered to his face which was smeared in dirt, spit and blood. A small cut along his jaw extended down to his neck seeped a small amount of blood.

His fingers tightened in my hair, gripping the strands and raising my head up off the ground. I gasped, my eyes widening as he pushed his body onto his arms, bringing my head back into the floor. Pain speared the back of my head, and Mr White smirked, raising my head again. I wrenched my hands out from underneath me and clawed at his eyes. Mr White shrieked when I had found my target, releasing his grip to pry my fingers from his eyes. Too bad I didn’t do any permanent damage. I saw Zachery pull him of and I heaved not realising just how much air I needed.

“Arina!” I turned my head, wincing at the pain, to see Scarlet in the hall entrance. In her hand she held a small portable cable which I hoped was the virus to install. I had never been so glad to see her in my life. Blood smeared down her face from a cut on her forehead, but she looked calm.

Scarlet quickly ran over, jumping over broken twisted parts of metal. In one swift motion she jammed the cable into a port on the computer. Her fingers flew over the key board and from here I could see the virus downloading. All it needed was a minute.

“Why are you fighting me, Zachery?” I glanced over and my heart dropped to the very pit of my stomach. Mr White had Zachery, one of his big hands wrapped tightly around his son’s throat with the other holding a gun to his temple. Zachery was trying to pry off his father’s fingers from around his neck. I didn’t think he was suffocating his son, but merely holding him in place while he rubbed his temple with the gun.

“Zachery!” I gasped, scrambling over. Mr White looked at me, and pressed harder against Zachery’s temple making him gasp out in pain. I halted; my fingers open in mid-air as if I could grab him from his father’s grip.

“I’m not afraid to shoot him,” Mr White warned.

“Why would you shoot your own son?” I asked in an attempt to talk him out of shooting Zachery.

“He’s not my son,” Mr White spat at Zachery, the saliva running down his face. I stepped forwards, maybe half a step in an attempt to get closer to them both. Mr White saw me step forwards and aimed the gun at me instead.

“Now then sweetheart. I have a full barrel,” He clicked the gun sending a small but visible green spark to the barrel making it live, “for you,” he then pressed the gun back to Zachery’s temple,” and for him.”

“Arina! We need the password!” Scarlet shouted from behind me. At that Mr White chuckled; an evil rumble deep from his throat.

“Only I have the password, sweetheart,” he mused with a grin. The gun slipped a few centimetres until the top was level with Zachery’s nose. My mind whirled with all the possibilities Mr White could have used but nothing came up. I didn’t know Zachery’s father.

The sound of Scarlet’s fingers could just be heard over the cackling of Mr White. That sound was the sound of someone knowing they had just won. The sound of the gun as it fires and kills the last victim. The sound of a truly mad man.

Suddenly, my lips shifted into a smirk and I made eye contact with Mr White.

“Try – Zachery.”

“Password accepted,” said the robotic voice of the computer. “Virus now downloaded.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry that this took longer than expected to post. Family issues and what-not. Coming to the near end of Alien X.

Vote if you like it and yeah...