Chapter 20

{ Fight for the things you love. Love the things worth fighting for }

I hunkered down in a corner of the alley behind some bins. The sound of cars honking and engines running echoed through the dark alley and peering out, I could just make out people walking along the path going about in their everyday activities.

“Where there,” crackled from the phone I was holding. Shani and Scarlet had already gone into a small air vent that was sitting to my right and were attempting to disable the power. From school I knew that there were two generators that supplied the entire city of city nine. And that it would take a few minutes to turn off them both but for now we were only going to turn of the one.

“Good. Ok, head towards the back and you will heard them running,” I whispered back into the phone. I had turned the sound down as I didn’t want to take any chances in anyone over hearing. There was at least just over fifty people hiding behind me and they weren’t all hiding.

“Got it,” Shani said a few moments later. Closing my eyes, I visualised the pictures that were shown to the entire class.

“Ok, now the code to the lock is three, nine, four, six, two, one,” There was a cage surrounding the generators and a rather large padlock to stop teenagers playing pranks on the city and turn off the power.

“Got it.”

“Ok, now you will see a series of leavers down the right hand side of a generator,” I whispered, eyeing off a couple that had stopped in front of the alley. They were too far to hear us but not to see us.

“Get down!” Zachery hissed and I heard the sound of people dropping. I turned off the phone and waited for the couple to finish whatever they were doing before turning the phone back on.

“Arina? You alright?” Shani asked from the other side of the phone.

“Yeah yeah were fine. Ok, you see the green leaver?” I whispered, nodding a thanks to Zachery.

“Yep.”

I smiled at Zachery holding the phone to my ear. His brows raised wondering what I was going to do.

“Turn them all except for that leaver.”

“Done and coming back,” Shani said before I hear metal clanking from the air vent. Scarlet tumbled out and was joined by Shani. After dusting themselves off, we all turned towards the city where the power was still going strongly.

“Did you do it?” I asked Shani who nodded and kept her eyes on the city. A second later the sound of metal grinding and beeps of warnings echoed through the tunnel before nothing. Silence greeted our ears. We all held our breath and our eyes glued to the city. I saw the multiply levels of city nine. Large highways travelled from level to level like ramps and each had a set of glowing white dotted lines down the centre. Then, the light turned off. It wasn’t all at once like I had thought would happen, but in rings from the outside moving in.