Chapter 19

“When is he going to be here!?” Shani asked in exasperation, throwing her hand up into the air. She has been pacing for the past twenty minutes and we had all given up trying to get her to calm down. Alexis’s ‘spy’ as Shani had put it, was over thirty minutes late and that was precious time he was wasting. Every human was sitting in groups and for once I saw a mixture of Shani’s group and Alexis’s group together and smiling. There must have been just over a hundred people all sitting around waiting for that moment when we head off.

Everyone was ready a few minutes after being woken and it must have been around lunch time before we emerged from the stuffy subway tunnel. We had made good time by only having two breaks and a lunch stop. If you wanted to go to the toilet you had to tell someone then go and do your business in a tunnel that was leading away from our current direction. No one really complained at this which was such a relief.

“Shani, please calm down!” Alexis sighed, rubbing her eyes. Shani ignored her but continued to pace. Adrian finally grew annoyed. He walked over and held Shani still.

“Snap out of it! He’ll get here when he gets here,” he snapped, gripping her shoulders. She gave him her evil eye that would have burnt holes through his head but he didn’t remove his hands.

“Get off me, Adrian,” she hissed, clenching her hands into fists.

“No. Sister you must stop pacing. He will get here when he gets here.” His eyes bore into hers and he released his hands. I could see red marks on her skin where Adrian had dug his fingers into it. Shani didn’t look phased by the marks but she did stop pacing.

“There he is,” Alexis said, standing up and pointing over to the horizon. A small dust cloud had picked up but I could see a large fast moving object quickly approach. Everyone turned to face the object and I could see that I was a car. A large modified version of a 4-wheel drive with bags tied to the back. A low rumble followed the vehicle and I could see that the windows were a deep black, effectively blocking out the person from view.

Parking a few feet from us, the driver’s door opened and we all watched as the driver slowly got out of the car. And how fast my mouth dropped.

“Alrighty. We ready for some action?” Sebastian asked, his wide toothy smile showing off his front chipped tooth.

Everyone ran forwards and helped unpack the car. Rolls of clothing and bags of body lotion were unpacked and placed in rows on the floor. Not one pair of hands were not busy. Except for mine. Sebastian was talking to Alexis and Shani but I could see his eyes dart to me every few seconds. He had cut his shaggy hair so now it had reached his ears instead of his neck and he looked younger than his true age of forty something.

“You going to stop staring?” he asked, removing me from my thoughts. I shook my head and walked away, leaving them alone. I really didn’t want to know why or how he knows about us. He could explain all that to me in his own words.

Walking over to Scarlet, I noticed she was intently looking at a blue print. The same blue print that her and Shani was looking at yesterday.