New Record, New Tour?

The task here was to write an article for a music magazine on a band you love. I wrote this circa March 2014 without access to internet so some of the facts may be wrong!

 Since 2001, The Used have been incredibly busy creating a name for themselves through the release of copious amounts of music and a stage presence that could be envied by many an arena rock band.

 Following the release of last year's politically charged EP "The Ocean of the Sky", fans of The Used hold high hopes for the band's upcoming album "Imaginary Enemies" (due to be released April 1st).

 One question remains on our lips: when the fuck are The Used coming to the UK?

 Embarking this week on a tour of North America with east coast legends Taking Back Sunday, The Used are tauntingly holding back on tour dates for the fans across the ocean. Given the upcoming record release date of April Fools Day, we can only hope that this is not all a cruel joke.

 Fans in North America should be overly psyched on for The Used's current tour, though this is not the first time these four boys from Utah are heading out with Taking Back Sunday. Way back in early 2003 a legendary tour combining the efforts of The Used, Taking Back Sunday and then fresh-faced New Jersey weirdos My Chemical Romance left the world shaking with raw, cathartic energy. 

 Having been a band for almost thirteen years now, The Used have yet to release material their listeners find disappointing. Boasting gold and platinum records from various countries, for multiple albums, the boys have a discography to be proud of.

 Their eponymous debut album rapidly drew them a fanbase, with aggressive energy on songs such as "Say Days Ago" and "Maybe Memories" giving way to beautiful, melodic songs like "On My Own" and "Blue and Yellow".

 2004 then saw the release of "In Love and Death", a record which voices the band's emotions following the deaths of various friends and family members. Then 2007's album "Lies for the Liars" found The Used sticking to their basic sound in a mature fashion, the lead single "Pretty Handsome Awkward" selling hundreds of thousands of copies in itself after it was featured in popular film Transformers.

 Two more albums ("Artwork" [2009] and "Vulnerable" [2012]) released and interspersed with multiple EPs, even as The Used get older it seems impossible for them to slow down. Each album sees the band's style plus different genre variants to aid them in their mission to never be pigeonholed.

 One thing that the band has changed, however, is its act. In 2011 lead singer Bert McCracken and lead guitarist Quinn Allman chose to quit drinking after the realisation that they weren't "sensible drinkers". The Used therefore will continue to tour with two buses- one for partying, one for hanging out.

 In spite of this seeming to be a major change to the band's lives, no impact has been made on the quality of their live shows which remain incredible, displaying the pure talent that this band has.