Chapter 4

For the next two days I saw Dexter on and off, but never alone again. Turns out he was in grade 11, just one year ahead of me. I'd never noticed him before though, which was weird. He didn't exactly blend in with the crowd. Especially with those eyes. In fact, he stood out to me almost as much as Noah did.

My ankle wasn't giving me much trouble anymore, but sometimes I'd get pain shooting up my leg. It wasn't the worst stack I've ever had. Believe me, I'm a klutz. And Dexter still hadn't forgiven me for throwing that rock at him (he he he).

School dragged by, long hours seeming even longer thanks to education. My only escape during those hours was art class and lunch breaks with Rachel and -ugh- Jared. Don't get me wrong, he's an okay guy, but for some reason he bugs me to no end. My day brightened each time I saw Noah and, even though I'd never admit it out loud, Dexter. I felt like I was cheating on Noah, which was ridiculous. He didn't even know I existed, so I couldn't possibly be cheating. I was just feeling guilty because I had obsessed over him for so long and now another guy was catching my attention.

I practiced reading minds, using some of the techniques that Dexter had said that he had heard other mind readers say worked for them. They seemed to work a little, and I found myself able to actually explore the minds of objects better, like I was in control if them and not the other way around. So far i I haven't practiced this on an actual person. I was going to have to see if Dexter would let me experiment with him sometime soon.

I hadn't been able to bring myself to ask my dad about this whole Seakyr thing. I was worried he would have no clue what I was going on about and would ship me off to the nearest mental hospital.

Not telling him just brought up more questions. Like, could I be a Seakyr if I didn't have Seakyr parents? Or, could my parents be Chaengyr's and have a Seakyr kid? Queries like those kept swirling around my head in a confusing jumble.

I went to the park several times within those two days. The fresh air helped clear my head and straighten out the knot of my thoughts. Not to mention that every time I saw that swing set I started cracking up.

If fact, it was after I came back from the park from my after school wander that I saw Dexter again.

I walked into my room, experimenting with the fresh thoughts of my shiny new door handle, to find him lounging on my bed, with Jeffery the Teddy Bear in his lap.

Truthfully, I wasn't surprised to find him there.

"I'll admit, your oh-so-deadly weapon has a cute side," he said, flashing me a brilliant smile. "You forgot to lock the back door again."

"Nice to see you, too. And I'll admit, I prefer this more than your looking at my knickers. Feet off of my bed though," I grabbed one of his sneakered feet and dropped it to the floor. I stood staring at him expectantly until he rolled his eyes and removed his other foot. "Better. What are you doing here?"

"I thought that I would give you the pleasure of my company."

I stared at him, unimpressed. "Seriously."

He rolled his blue eyes. "I got bored. Have you ever played a video game?"

"Umm..." I figured that he was always a little random but this was sudden, even for him. "Not really."

"Wow, that is just sad. Your learning."

"Am I now?"

"Sure."

"But I haven't even got a playbox or what ever it is," I frowned at him.

He snorted. "I think you mean a Playstation or a X-Box. And it doesn't matter. I have one."