New beginnings

Proverbs 4:18 “The path of the just is as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day.”

Sunday had the most exciting day of Martha’s life; she had been overwhelmed by many things. No one had ever been so kind to her. Mrs. Peterson had acted like the mother she never had, she now had more clothes than she had ever had in her life. She even had her hair dyed a different colour.  She could even feel the dimples she had once forgotten she had forming from all the smiling had done that day.

After showering Mrs. Peterson invited her down for supper. They talked about the day’s events while they ate and laughed. She told her about what she would have to do at the diner tomorrow and how much she would get paid; she didn’t really care how much she would be getting, she was just happy she finally had a decent job that she could be proud of. Mrs. Peterson suggested that she better start attending night classes to upgrade herself, her exact words were ‘It’s important for women to be independent so that men don’t take advantage of them.” She knew that all too well.

Martha and her new found mother did the dishes together in silence, quite frankly they were both tired and just wanted to go bed. Before they both went to bed, Mrs. Peterson invited Martha to her room to pray. She prayed for peace in her home, for Martha, world peace, her children and many other things. Mrs. Peterson embraced her in her big arms before Martha went to bed; they both went to be bed with peaceful hearts.

So there Martha was making her bed, the rain had really taken her back to her past and sad memories but as it did so, it washed all her bad deeds away. She was wearing a uniform of dignity for once in her life, not exactly highly dignified but that wasn’t important she had a job that she could be proud of for once in her life and that’s all that mattered about today.

Mrs. Peterson looked her up and down with such scrutiny before they left, she felt like she was a new recruit in the army ready to be hazed. They got in the car and drove to the diner which was only a few blocks from her home; it was a walkable distance from their home.

At the diner all the new employees welcomed her and showed her the ropes. She even made a new friend in one of the employees named Tina. She told her she had been attending night school at the local university and that if she wanted she could help her get enrolled if she wanted to. She agreed to this and they agreed they would go together after work.

Some of the customers were rude but Mrs. Peterson always said to be polite to the customers no matter what they said or who they were.

At lunch break they girls talked about what possible courses Martha should take, she decided on taking either accounts or business management. She couldn’t quite decide yet. Tina told her about her family and her background. She even told her about her boyfriend, David. She turned a cut shed of pink when she started talking about him. She offered to introduce her to his best friend but she declined the offer, she had had enough of men and their nonsense.

After work they went straight to the university and enrolled Martha in the accounts night class. Tina wasn’t having classes today so she called her boyfriend to come and pick them up. She kept smiling while they were waiting. A black jeep stopped near them and a man came out. He hugged Tina and smiled at Martha she smiled back at him and they all got in the car. From what Martha had observed he was quite the introvert. He didn’t say much but was still nice in a quiet way; While Tina on the other kept on talking about this and that. He talked to Martha everyone once in a while about basic things but the he would get distracted by Tina’s never ending stories.

When they got to Mrs. Petersons house, Martha got out, waved at the happy couple and got out. From what she had been hearing David was an I.T consultant at a big I.t to firm somewhere, which explained the car and the fancy suit. She secretly wished she had someone like David.

Mrs. Peterson hugged her and kissed her and asked her about her day when she got home. “Did you meet anyone that caught your attention, you know you can tell me anything.” She said. Martha just laughed and said no. “I see you met David, his good man, he goes to our church, him and Tina have been courting for a while now I wonder when his going to pop the question.” She said with a faraway look in her eyes.

They had supper and went to bed but not without praying. They each planned for the day ahead of them.