Coming clean

Ephesians 5:2 “Live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and sacrifice to God.”

Martha thought long and hard about how she was going to tell her friends about her ugly past. She began preparing her mind for the worst of reactions. Tina was sure to find a new maid of honour; there was still about three months till her wedding after all. Her and James hadn’t even started courting yet, so why was she so worried about what he thought; besides they were plenty of other girls at the church he could court.

Saturday was the day of the week, the perfect time to get them all in one room. Mrs. Peterson called her down for breakfast and try to assure her that everything will be alright but she still had her doubts;Mr. Smith’s word were playing over and over in her head.

Rehearsals were in the afternoon so she still had time to break the news to everyone. She called Tina and told her she needed to talk to them about something. Tina went on and called everyone concerned in the matter at hand.

She picked a quiet place on the outskirts of town. Her hands were shaking and she felt a little jittery. She started humming to herself to pass time by, as she did so she looked out the window. She was so busy in her own utopia that hadn’t noticed them all walk in. She was startled when they called they called her name. It was David that spoke first with a look of concern on his face, “Martha is everything alright, and why did you call us here?”

Martha was still thinking of a way to put her words right when Tina spoke, “You know we are your friends and you can tell us anything.” And that’s when she blurted everything out. She told them about everything, from Mr. Smith and Micheal to her father and mother. They all just listened to her in silence and waited until she finished.

When she finished she said to them, “I understand if you don’t want to have anything to do with me anymore and Tina I am sure you will find a new maid of honour.” She slowly began to walk away but was stopped by a small hand. “Don’t be silly!” Tina said “We will always be your friends no matter what and you’re crazy for thinking I am getting a new maid of honour three months prior to my wedding.”

James and David didn’t say anything but stood up and hugged her. Rehearsals went well. James didn’t treat her any different, it’s like she hadn’t told them anything. It was like a normal day.

Rehearsals ended quite early that day because the bridesmaids had to go and check if their dresses fitted well. Tina was so excited about seeing how their dresses looked. “I can’t wait to see James reaction when he sees you in that dress.” She responded by saying, “I think he won’t be awestruck at the way I look, were just friends. “ “That’s what you think.” was Tina’s response.

After the dress fitting, they all said goodbye to each other. Tina and Martha went exploring around the town for different things for the bridal party. David called Tina and told her he wanted to show her something. Tina asked her if she would finish up her shopping for her and she willingly agreed, after all her job as maid of honour is to keep the bride happy.

She went around shopping for all the last minute things on her list all by herself, it was kind of lonely but she was used to it. As she was walking she bumped into something hard and muscled. When she looked up she found herself face to face with James and he had this weird smile on his face like he was shy or scared. “Sorry” was all he said. He asked her if he could give her a ride home but she politely declined the offer. He kept begging and pleading so she just gave in. Before they left the mall, he bought her an ice cream cone. As they passed the children James kept on making silly faces at them; He sure was a weird one.

When they got to the car he opened the car door for her. Didn’t he get tired of doing that she wondered? He must have heard her because he said no. She must have been wondering too loud. She didn’t know it happened but before she knew it James started talking about his teenage life of drugs alcohol and partying. He trusted her in some weird way. When he finished talking, Martha just started laughing to break the silence. He joined in her laughing. The rest of the ride home was silent, a comfortable silence.

 Mrs. Peterson opened the door even before they knocked. “I see everything went well.” She said. “So James, when are you going to ask the pretty girl out?” They both turned a deep shed of pink. But his response was short “soon” was all he said. He smiled and said his goodbyes.

When she turned her around Mrs. Peterson looked her with a talking eye. “You and James, huh?”, “I saw it coming.”

Martha went to bed smiling that night for the second time that month.