8- Running & Claiming/2

This is probably the longest Chapter I have ever written!

Hope you enjoy! M

I found out a short time later, when Easton led me by the small of my back, out of the reception area to a clearing behind the large building. Lance was now standing and waiting for us, the woodlands stretched out behind him, vast and inviting.

We'd be running through ponderosa pine tree, so tall they shot up into the sky and I had to tip my head back to see the treetops. The woods were thick here, and the forest was littered with pine needles. The smell was heavenly.

Crowds of wolves and other shifters were gathering around, whooping and cheering.

"So, here's how this works," Easton said clapping his hands together. "We're very big on tradition around here, and this goes way back. As you know, it's vital that an Alpha be perceived as the strongest member of his pack. The way that we used to claim our brides around here, up until about a hundred years ago; was simply to go to another pack's territory, run after a bride and drag her back with us, caveman style."

Wolves usually sought out brides from outside of their pack, for a genetic variety and also to form or strengthen new alliances.

"Yeah, that's what my pack did too," I said. Of course, this was modern times, we'd evolved past caveman style.

"Well, on an Alpha's wedding day, we re-enact a version of that. The Alpha has to prove that he is wolf enough to claim a bride. So we shift, and I chase you through the woods towards a finish line. If you make it there first, you are free from obligation. If I catch you, witch I will. I claim you right there in the woods, and you are my bride." He smirked.

"How often does a bride actually get away?"

His smirk turned into a fierce smile. "From a Maxwell? Never. And don't get your hopes up, baby. Trust me, I'm faster then you."

"We'll see," I smiled sweetly. He was in for a little surprise.

Yes, I'm a big girl. I also have very, very powerful leg muscles.

He may have the advantage of knowing the terrain. But I have the advantage that I was a track star 4years running in high school. Big doesn't always mean slow.

I wasn't going to tell him that, though.

"How would I find the finish line?"

Lance was standing near us now. He handed me a big piece of cloth which smelled very strongly of Easton's scent.

"The finish line is due north. One mile from here," he said pointing behind him. "Scott is there holding the other half of the cloth, so follow your nose. Oh, and you get a fifteen second head start."

I nodded. Wolves have a great sense of direction and an excellent sense of smell. I'd be able to find the finish line without a problem.

We stripped off our clothes.

"Quit staring at me, you perverted boogsh!" I said to Easton, as I folded my shirt putting it at the bass of a huge tree.

He laughed at my choice of words. "You're my wife, Airalyn. I'll stare at your beautiful body all I want."

I blushed. "We'll see about that," I said smugly. "I'll wait for you at the finish line. Try not to get lost."

"Oh, Princess. I already have so much to punish you for," Easton said, his eyes leaving a heated trail down to my ample bottom. "Thank you for giving me one more reason to spank that delicious ass of yours. But stay behind the tree, nobody needs to see my sexy ass wife naked, except for me."