Chapter 2: Everything Happens For A Reason!

Sophie's P.O.V - (First Person)

My mind is fuzzy, the last remnants of a dream being chased away by the realisation that I am awake and back in the pathetic excuse of a life I lead. It was a nice dream, something about sitting in a big oak tree in a meadow full of flowers, but the details are fading fast as I try to recall them. With a mental sigh, I allow my brain to focus and cautiously open my eyes, unaware of why I'm not in my usual bed. Instead, feeling a cold hard surface beneath me unlike the soft plush bed I had the blessing of enduring just the morning before. How things change. As soon as the slightest crack of my eyes had opened, a piercing stream of light exploded in my face, blinding me by its brightness. Where am I? Suddenly, all the events that occurred yesterday flooded back into my brain. The accident. My friends. Running away. Sleeping in the- Aaahhh, that’s where I am! In the corner of a deserted alley sleeping with mice. Never thought I'd say/think that sentence in my lifetime. 

I felt like a zombie, oblivious to everything around me. I rubbed my knuckles into my eyes to drive away the sleep, hoping that my appearance wasn't as bad as I feel. Spoke too soon. My hair was a dishevelled mess, an untameable danger to a comb. It was as wild as the jungle, chunks sticking up here, there and everywhere. Sort of like Einstein but less perfected. The entire left side of my face was covered in dried drool where I clearly forgot to swallow during the night and I had an indescribable amount of sleepy dust (or eye boogers) vacating in my tear ducts. 

Ignoring the fact that I probably look like a dead woman walking, I tried to remember what I had planned for today. Oh, yeah. Find a new school. How I'm supposed to find a school looking like the wicked witch of the west, I have no idea but I guess we'll find out. 

Steadily, I used all my current strength to force myself into an upright position, therefore being stood vertically instead of splurged across the concrete alley. Slowly but surely, I awkwardly shuffled out of the alley, straightening out my clothes as I went. As best I could anyway, not much you can do to a grey cardigan and black leggings with about a gazillion tears and holes in them. Mental note, GET NEW CLOTHES.

Having run out so fast yesterday, I realised that I didn't have grab my mobile so the time to me was indefinite. However, I would assume it's about midday considering the height of the sun in the sky. Wahey, knowledge! Unfortunately for me, this meant that there were a heck of a lot of people around, roaming the streets doing their day to day thing...that was until I dragged myself out onto the busy pathway. My arms swayed, simultaneously, back and forth; mechanically in motion one leg thrust forward as the other tried, rhymically, to catch up. I guess you could say that sleeping on concrete all night isn’t the best night’s sleep an individual could get...

I could feel all the judging stares burning into my soul and beyond already, and all I'd done was walk. I guess I thought that I'd be able to blend into the crowd, instead completing the opposite. I was stealing the attention from all sorts of people, young children, teens, adults and worst of all; I even got disgusted looks from the elderly!! They're supposed to be the nicer, less judgemental people *sigh*. 

All this unwanted attention was reminding me of bad memories, things that I wanted to forget and move on from, but no. It's just my luck that it endlessly pops back into my mind even when doing such a simple task, like walking. Then suddenly, that all too familiar feeling of tears building up in my eyes returned as they began to stream down my face. One after another, the salty tears ran down as if running away from someone, or something. Just like I did yesterday, and now wanted to do again. I can't resist the temptation. All I knew was that I had to get away, from everyone and everything. So once again, I ran.

Thoughts of the accident occupied my mind the whole time I was running. Well actually to be truthful, it wasn't even the accident I couldn't get my mind round. Now I know that sounds bad because it was horrific but the worst part was definitely afterwards, talking to my friends as they tried to comfort me. Not very well though. It's almost as if they forgot I was there, and began expressing their feelings as if I couldn't see or hear anything. I can't even comprehend the fact that they believed that arse over me, and practically told me to my face! I'm there friend, always have been, but clearly it was one sided. But I guess there’s a reason behind everything that has happened. The only thing I can do now is to try and stay strong, to never lose hope. Unfortunately, it’s easier said than done. The unbearable emotional pain I was suffering from fogged my mind and thoughts, whilst the freshly shed tears flooded down my cheeks at an unrateable pace, blurring my vision. My breathing was uneven, all the facts finally sinking in. Before this moment in time, I knew what had happened, of course I did, but I never thought about it properly...until now. My parents are dead; and my friends hate me.