Chapter 30

She panicked like crazy. She didn't know what to do or how to act around her husband.

It felt weird.

This is what I was talking about, she thought with frustration.

What to do now? What? She couldn't possibly walk up to him and say, "Hey, I think I'm in love with you. No, I'm certain I'm in love with you. And I don't want to get that divorce we talked about. Is there any way we can extend it until we sort this out? What do you say?"

That was what she wanted to say, and that was what her mind had been shouting since that phenomenal moment of realizing she was falling in love with Philip Strindberg.

"Shit," she groaned, falling back in the bed.

"Cass?" Philip's voice called out from downstairs.

"What?"

"I need help up the stairs," he said.

She went to her feet and walked to the top of the stairs. He was standing at the bottom, crutches and all. "I thought your therapist taught you how to use that thing when climbing up the stairs?" she asked.

"Yes, he did. But I need help anyways."

God, he's killing me right now. "Just...just climb up. I'm busy."

His smiled disappeared as he peered at her. "Are you okay?"

"Yes," she snapped too quickly. "I'm okay. I'm just tired with all that driving."

"What did Harrison want anyway?"

"He wanted to have dinner. I said no."

"Why?"

"Who would watch over you?"

"I can take care of myself."

"Like climbing up the stairs?"

He sighed. "Okay, fine."

She let out a breath and walked down to help him.

"What are we having for dinner?"

"I'm still thinking about it."

"You're still thinking about it?" he asked with amusement. "No offense, babe, but you only fry. What's there to think about?"

She stopped in her tracks and glared at him. "Do you want to know how it feels to stumble down the stairs before you even get to the first step?"

Philip chuckled but did not answer. "I'm hungry."

"I'll call for pizza. I can't cook right now."

"Why?"

"Because I'm tired. Remember I told you that?"

"Fine. Pepperoni for me."

"Sure." She guided him up the stairs and the moment they reached the top, she let him go and walked back downstairs. She could not stay upstairs alone with him.

"Where are you going?"

"Calling the pizza."

"You can make the call from up here," he said behind her.

"And I'm gonna start on some painting!" she lied.

She knew he was looking at her curiously, but she chose to ignore it. Yes, that was it. She would be ignoring him for now.

She had to think.

*****

In the days that followed, she made sure she did not spend a lot of time alone with him. If she did not face her canvas all day, she would invite any member of their family to come visit. Hope and Mary were her constant companions. Just like now, they were having coffee at the back of the house.