Chapter 25

"Look who came! I can't believe you invited her, Chanty." Disgust was prettily mixed with Angelica's voice.

Cassandra wasn't expecting her, but she couldn't turn around and leave. That wouldn't do for her. Two meetings and she was getting used to Angelica's glare and stupid remarks to care anyway. "Hello, I wasn't expecting you here, Angelica," she greeted as she neared their table outside the café.

"Hello, Cass," Chanty smiled, standing up to give her a kiss. It was weird how she handled the situation with her friend ready to rip her sister-in-law's skin. "Don't mind Angelica. She's just bitter." She then looked at her friend and said, "Stop that. You're giving her a really bad impression."

Angelica rolled her eyes and leaned back against her chair, crossing her arms across her chest. "Whatever," she muttered.

Cassandra smiled and sat down across them. "Where's Willie?"

"He's with his babysitter. I can't take him with me if I want to have progress with the party. Thank you for what you did last time, Cass. And he is walking!"

"I enjoyed it so no worries, Chanty."

"Where's your husband?" Angelica asked her.

"Home, working," she sighed as she said that. "He was acting weird this morning that's why I called." It just came out of her mouth before she could stop herself. Great, she was talking about her worries with her husband in front of his sister and the woman who seemed ready to steal him away.

Angelica laughed like she was enjoying it. "It looks like you're not making that much progress, Cassandra."

Chanty nudged her friend. "Hey, what did I tell you?"

Angelica raised her hands, feigning innocence, "Fine! Fine! I was just saying..."

"You might be right though," Cassandra told her.

Angelica raised her brows and said, "Yeah?"

Cassandra nodded, "Yes. I'm not a very good cook. But you can't tell that to anyone."

Chanty laughed, her blue eyes, like her brother's, glittering. "You're not alone in that. Ange and I are terrible cooks."

Angelica sighed and reached for her coffee. "Couldn't agree more," she said and looked at Cassandra. "You should learn though."

Cassandra was getting comfortable being around the red-haired beauty before her. She was not saying she was a great judge of character, but she could tell at that moment that Angelica might not be what she thought she was. Maybe Philip was right. She might just be having issues. And she was just plain tactless. "I'm trying."

"You should give me a call if you're tired of him though."

"Ange!" Chanty cried out in frustration.

"What? That's true. I would gladly take your brother if she won't have him."

Cassandra couldn't help but chuckle. "You really say and do what you want, don't you?"

"Of course," Angelica looked at her straight in the eyes. "I would still be trying to take Philip away from you if I didn't realize you'll be such a difficult opponent. But don't worry. As much as I hate your gut right now, I know I'll be wasting time."

Cassandra was startled. "What exactly are you saying?"

Angelica did not answer. She just shrugged and sipped her coffee.

"Philip gave her a call," Chanty explained.

"Don't tell her that," Angelica snapped at her friend.