Instincts - Chapter 3

The next morning Kat was up early and in the orphanage kitchen. It was a Friday which meant she was making pancakes for all the kids before they went off to school or kindergarten. She flipped the plain pancakes expertly. It had been tradition for a few years now and over time she had accumulated some skill and quite a few helpers. One of the wardens bustled around the joint ushering the kids to get ready quicker so they could enjoy breakfast. She was a kind lady, if only a little bit stern. She had become Kat's role model over the years, allowing the woman to take the position of her missing mother. Sarah was a lovely lady with a big heart, always trying to lend a hand. Kat remembered clinging to her skirts from the very get go and following the woman like a lost puppy. Sarah smiled at Kat, a genuine curl of her lips that seemed to light up her whole face. She pushed a girl to the large dining table, forcing her into a chair where one of the older girls placed a plate of pancakes. Kat was humming to herself as she flipped, handing plates to one of the girls who ran it over to the table. Before too long, all 26 children who inhabited the orphanage were seated and eating, and Sarah, Kat and Angelique were just sitting down. There were two other women who worked at the orphanage, but they didn't live on site as they had their own families.  Kat checked her watch and realised she was going to be late unless she got her butt into gear, and she hurriedly stacked her plate into the dishwasher, zipped on her boots and ran out the door to her car. The children called out their farewells as she ran past, a couple of the quieter ones waving their chubby little fingers. Kat reversed the car out of the long driveway and began to drum her fingers on the steering wheel to the music pumping through her speakers. Her car was probably a little rundown, but she couldn't really afford to buy a new one, despite her extravagant salary most of her money went into the orphanage.  Her phone began to ring in her bag and she reached over and pressed the accept button, the blue-tooth picking up the call and allowing her bosses voice to buzz through her ear. 

"Kat, I need you to organise a meeting today. I want the whole company to attend, I have an important announcement." Mr Wright barked, waiting for her confirmation before ending the call. He seemed stressed, Kat mused. Her relationship with Mr Wright was usually pretty good and they got on quite well. Of course occasionally she fought the urge to club his head in, but it was usually pretty easy to overcome. Her boss worked her to the bone and she often worked way past normal hours or got up at stupid times of the night to drive over to the house and deliver documents. She was just happy that Mrs Wright was lovely. She would often roll her eyes and give Kat a hot drink before allowing her to drive home, chastising her husband for calling the girl out of her bed in the middle of the night. Of course then she would yell at him for still working when he too, should have been in bed.  Zipping into her car spot, Kat quickly exited her car and nearly flew up the steps, making sure she was going to be in the office by 8.15 on the dot. As she all but ran down the corridor to her desk, she glanced at the silver wristwatch on her right arm and huffed a sigh of relief, she made it. Kat slumped into her chair and kicked her bag under the desk before pushing the On button on her computer. She pulled out her iPad and checked her bosses appointments, before sending round a mass invite to the building for a meeting that they must all be in attendance too.  Her computer booted and she quickly began searching for a caterer that would supply enough nibbles and drinks to sate the 143 staff that was based in this location. Dragon hotels was massive, holding multiple premier hotels all over the world. She worked in the head office, along with a few other staff that managed the rest of the 83 locations, ranging from all over America, Australia, Japan, Dubai and Brazil. Dragon Hotels had been Mr Wrights life ever since he was a young man, starting it from the ground up, until it flourished and he was slowly able to take over the accommodation world, holding stocks in all of his competitors and a few major airlines. It was fair to say that Mr Wright was a very, very wealthy man.  Kat was booking the company boardroom when Mr Wright and his two sons walked in.