Chapter 24- Harry

HARRY

It felt like old times again. Preparing to break into vaults, offices or ministries was something Harry, Ron and Hermione excelled at. And they were happy to pursue any further mysteries about the American Grindylow, the silent Petra, or even the story of his family.

At midnight, all of them meticulously got out of bed, silently dressed and went downstairs to the common room, where Hermione was already waiting for them, standing near the portrait door.

"Check the map, Harry," she said quietly.

He removed the old piece of parchment from his pocket and tapped it, whispering the required words. Ever since Hogwarts had been rebuilt after the Battle of Hogwarts, the map had gotten rather unreliable, since there were so many renovations made that the layout of the castle was no longer the same. Thankfully, it still showed where the students were accurately. Professor McGonagall was in her office, fast pacing. Filch was prowling in the trophy room, and Mrs Norris was on the eight floor corridor. Professor Powers seemed to have had retired to her bed, and her office seemed empty.

"All fine," he said. "Let's go."

The Invisibility Cloak could in no way hide four seventeen year olds, so Hermione and Harry, the smallest of the lot, got under it and walked ahead, with Ron and Percy behind them, Disillusionment Charms on them.

They quietly crept the fourth floor, where their Defense Against the Dark Arts classes were kept.

"She's a teacher about the Dark Arts!" Ron had said earlier this evening when they'd planned breaking in, "How will we enter her office?"

Thankfully, Percy had come up with a solution almost immediately. As dumb as he might play to be, Harry had come to realise that Percy was quite smart and a valuable addition to their team.

Percy stepped forward to the door and removed his sword. It glowed in the darkness, a faint bronze shimmer. He quietly inserted the tip of the knife inside the gap between the wall and the door and sliced through it. The lock cleaved into half like butter and the door swung open.

"You can repair the lock after we leave," he whispered to them. "We didn't overcome the barrier, we simply destroyed it."

They all entered the room, which looked rather sinister in the night, and saw that the Grindylows were resting.

"Alright," Percy walked upto the large tank and started waking everyone up by tapping on the glass. "Which one of you is Sam?"

Sam, who turned out to be a frail looking thing in the back, raised its hand.

What Percy said to him, or what response he received, Harry didn't know, as he certainly couldn't speak water demon.

But he did see Percy communicate with him, sometimes looking exasperated, sometimes angry. After about ten minutes, during which Harry, Ron and Hermione had looked at him, a little amazed, Percy finally turned to them.

"Let's go." He said. "He isn't going to be telling us anymore than he did."

"What did he say?" Hermione asked eagerly.

"The blocks which the Grindylow talked about earlier, are actually referring to some piece of alloy- made of Celestial Bronze, Imperial Gold and Stygnian Iron- which was cast away by the god Hepheastus during the old days. Hepheastus did a lot of stuff like that, tossing his half built inventions out of his forgery whenever they turned out bad. This one used to be huge, but on reaching the earth, it broke into seven pieces, each scattering over this area apparently."