I Just Haven't Met You Yet

I dreaded going to my next class. It had been alright previously, that is, until the teacher had decided to move Eve Mendell directly behind me. I again made it through the door just as the bell rang. It seemed I was late for everything today.

To my complete and utter surprise, Eve was not in her seat when I sat in mine. Usually she would be perched there like a bird of prey waiting to attack, a wicked smile on her face the whole time. I scanned the room, curious as to where she might be. My gaze finally fell upon her where she sat in an empty desk behind a boy I'd never seen before.

He had short brown hair and light brown eyes, and from the look on his face I could tell he wasn't enjoying Eve's company. Suddenly, his eyes flicked to my face, but I immediately looked down at my desk. It would be bad news for me if Eve caught me staring at the new guy, whom she obviously planned to charm with her completely fake act of sweetness.

I winced as I heard someone plunk down in the seat behind mine. The person leaned forward and I immediately recognized the voice of Eve as she spoke.

"He's mine." she hissed, stirring my long, wavy brown hair with her breath in a chilling way as she did.

It disgusted me how she claimed people like objects, but I said nothing and I heard her sit back in her chair. I could imagine the look of triumph on her face.

The rest of the class seemed to go excruciatingly slow as I tried to ignore both Eve behind me and the brown-eyed boy across the room. I couldn't help but notice how he looked behind me at Eve with his eyes narrowed every time she did something to bother me.

Near the end of class we were given time to talk to our friends, but I just sat doing my homework. I had no friends in this class; only an enemy. Many of my classmates were seniors anyway. I suddenly wondered what grade brown-eyes was in. I tried to restrain myself from looking at him, but I couldn't help it, I looked over to find him staring across the room.

I followed his gaze to see Eve exiting the room, most likely to redo her overload of makeup. Still focused on the door, I nearly had a heart attack when I heard someone sit behind me. I whirled around to see brown-eyes sitting at Eve's desk, an amused look on his face.

"Did I scare you?"