Chapter 29

--CHAPTER 29-- 

Elijah woke up to a thunderous pounding. He shot up straight, confused and disoriented. The previous few hours ran through his head. He glanced over to find the bed empty, Sage nowhere in sight.

He got out of the bed, feet touching the cool floor. The pounding was back, and he realized that somebody was knocking at the door. He glanced at the clock on the nightstand. It was nearly 3:30 in the morning. Who could possibly be here? Maybe Sage had gone out for a walk and locked herself out? That didn’t seem plausible though. She would’ve found someway to get back in without disturbing everyone.

Elijah glanced down at himself, taking in his own narrow hips, clad in nothing more than a pair of plaid boxers. He groaned inwardly and walked to the small closet, shrugging on a pair of clean jeans, not bothering for a shirt, and headed out of the room.

But it appeared he’d already been beat to answering the door. Alyssa and Taylor were standing with the front door thrown open, Taylor’s hand rigid on the doorframe she was holding for support. Alyssa’s back looked stiff with tension, her blonde hair hanging limply down past her shoulders from sleeping on it. Both of them seemed to be silent with shock.

Elijah strode up to the door, gently knocking the two girls aside, only to see a third girl standing in the doorway. Her beauty struck him. Her blonde hair was in soft, artfully done curls. Her vivid eyed appraised him with a certain interest behind a fringe of long, dark eyelashes. Her blood red lips quirked up into a smile as her gaze trailed down his well defined bare chest.

He couldn’t help but notice how her black dress clung to her in all the right places, showing off the dramatic flare of her hips, the small area that was her waist, and of course, showing just how large her chest was, which looked not very proportional compared to how thin she was.

“And you are?” Elijah asked, when it was obvious that neither Taylor nor Alyssa were going to speak.

Her grin spread wide, and she spoke in a seductive voice and she said softly, “My names Ellie.”

That seemed to wake the girls on both his sides up, and they stared at this creature in amazement. Elijah furrowed his brow in speculation. Ellie. Wasn’t that the lost Hunter girl? Wasn’t it entirely certain she had died in the fire at Edison? Obviously not.

“Ellie!” Taylor shrieked and ran to engulf her in a bear hug. Alyssa followed suit, and only Elijah caught the annoyed expression that ran across the oddly beautiful girls face. She didn’t seem quite so pleased to be reunited with her best friends as the other girls were.

“We though you were dead!” Alyssa sang, staring up into Ellie’s face as tears shined in her eyes. Ellie was quick to plaster an excited look on her face.

“How’d you get here?” Taylor asked, gazing at her with the same awe as the petite blonde beside her.

Ellie shrugged. “I had to take a few detours. Sorry it took so long. I’d planned to be here a lot sooner.” Her hazel eyes flicked up to look at Elijah. Something about the color of her eyes seemed… off… artificial…

“And who’s this?” Ellie asked. Taylor glared at him when she realized whom Ellie was talking about.

“That’s just some stupid Hunter,” she explained. The way she had called him a ‘Hunter’ seemed to imply she was most certainly not a part of that classification.

Ellie’s eyes flashed. “And is Sage anywhere near?” she said in a taunting voice, as though she knew what had happened between the two, and also knew something juicy that he didn’t know.

All three girls glanced to Elijah questioningly. “Last I heard she was with you,” Alyssa said in a breezy voice.

Elijah shrugged. “I don’t know where she went. She was gone when I woke up.”
            Ellie tried to repress a chuckle, but Elijah caught it. “Sounds like a hump-and-dump if you ask me,” she said with faux sympathy.

“No one asked you,” Elijah said between clenched teeth.

“Anyways,” Ellie continued as though he hadn’t talked. “There’s a bigger thing going on at the moment than your one night stand with everyone’s favorite spunky little blonde.” Taylor and Alyssa raised their eyebrows in silent question, but Elijah wasn’t about ready to explain, and Ellie didn’t seem inclined to either.

“And what’s that bigger thing?” Elijah asked, completely irritated now.

“Oh, nothing much.” She shrugged thin shoulders. “Just that Slender Man is outside right now, with a certain little bitch pressed between him and the house.”

Elijah’s eyes widened with sudden worry and fear. “Don’t worry now,” Ellie continued. “She seems to be really enjoying it…. Oh! You thought I meant he was hurting her?” She laughed. “Only if she’s a virgin would he be hurting her… and I think you took care of that one.” She gave him a pointed look.

His face fell in despair. But then he collected himself. He would have to see this to believe it. Why should he believe this devil clad in Prada?

He started to rush out the door, but was blocked by the slim forms of Taylor and Alyssa. “You can’t go out there alone,” Alyssa said in clear worry. Taylor seemed like she couldn’t care less, but was doing because Alyssa would yell at her if they sent him out to his death.

He just pushed to girls aside and ran out into the cool night, hearing the echo of Ellie saying, “It’s alright. This is something he needs to do by himself."