Chapter 14

--CHAPTER FOURTEEN--

Elijah stood in the darkest corner of the deserted ballroom, his brother Fallon at his side.

“Did you see that?” Elijah asked, horror and shock mingling in his tone.

He glanced over at Fallon. His face was an odd green color. “I saw it,” Fallon said.

“Slendy just kissed her. And she kissed him first! Does she know what he is? We have to get her out of here, Fallon.”

Fallon glared at him. “I’m the one who said that in the first place. But you said we had to go back and get Jonathon and the others. You only want to get her now because you thought she looked sexy while she was dancing,” he stated.

A smirk grew on Elijah’s gold-toned face. “What can I say? I like them small and blonde,” he said with a shrug of his broad shoulders.

Fallon sighed, a look of affection overcoming his face, which had turned back to its normal pale pallor. “Let’s just go get the others? Then we can save the girl.”

“How do you expect to get out of here? Slendy’s back.”

Fallon laughed. “Oh, I think he’s a little preoccupied at the moment.”

Elijah scrunched his eyebrows together. “Maybe she’s doing it to protect herself? Some odd method she’s come up with?”

His brother shook his head. “Who knows? We need to get out of here while we still have the chance though.” He nodded over to where they had entered.

The two boys made their way over to one of the heavy velvet curtains obscuring the large window. Elijah brushed it aside, revealing a large whole in the stained glass. “You’d think Slendy would fix this place up.”

“He’s a murderer. What do you expect from him?”

Elijah shrugged. “Pink curtains and a disco ball hanging from the ceiling. Or a medieval castle. Both work.”

Fallon let out an irritable sigh. “Just go,” he said, shoving Elijah toward the window.

It didn’t take long to get back to the house they were staying at. It was Jonathan’s house. Of course, they lived wherever Jonathon lived, because he was their uncle. They had no other family and had no choice but to stay with him.

The house was full of people, a lot more crowded than usual. Jonathon was housing all the Hunters from Edison, since their homes had been destroyed. It was slightly irritating.

One of the teenagers who had come was lounging in an armchair, her legs dangling over the armrest. Her name was Taylor, Elijah recalled. When she’d first come here he had a little fling with her, simply because he was bored and needed something to do.

She was pretty enough, he supposed. He hair was wild curls and ink black, with olive toned skin. Black pits for eyes. Those eyes glared at him as she looked up and caught his glance.

What Taylor didn’t understand was that he never got serious with girls. She had enjoyed the thing they had going probably more than Elijah himself, and had been very angry when he put an end to it. The anger still held.

He didn’t think she had much right to be this furious. They’d only messed around for about three days out of the whole week she’d been here. Not enough time for her to ‘fall in love with him’, as she put it.

He shrugged and said, “Where’s Jonathon?”

Taylor’s glare intensified. “How should I know? Ask somebody who wants to be here.” She turned back to the book in her lap.

Taylor was still in denial about being a Hunter, since she’d learned only a few days before the attack on her town what she really was. Everything had been thrown at her so fast, making her vulnerable. Also making her easier for Elijah to get what he wanted out of her.

Alyssa rounded the corner, coming from the kitchen. Alyssa would have been Elijah’s first choice to go after, with her dirty blonde hair and striking gray eyes. Unfortunately she had been trained in the art of Hunting her whole life, and wouldn’t stand for Elijah’s flattery and told him to go away. She was friends with Taylor, but she didn’t seem mad at him like Taylor was. Perhaps they hadn’t discussed it.

“He’s in his study,” Alyssa said, a wooden spoon in her, dripping brown liquid onto the carpeted floor. “I’m making food, by the way. Does anyone want some?”

“I’m hungry,” Fallon told her. “Get me some when you’re done. I have to go talk to me uncle now though.”

Alyssa smiled brightly at him and went back into the kitchen. Elijah suspected they were getting romantically inclined, but he didn’t question his brother about it. Not that he was jealous, but more that he really didn’t care.

They trudged into their uncle’s office, leaving mud stains from their boots on the worn out carpet.

Jonathon’s head perked up at the sound of their entrance. “Yes?” he asked curiously.

“We found Slendy,” Fallon started. “He’s about fifteen minutes away, staying in the abandoned church again. He’s got a girl with him.”

Jonathon raised a graying eyebrow. “Is that so?”

Elijah and Fallon both nodded.

“And why is this important to me?” Jonathon asked in his authority like voice.

“Because,” Elijah said, “it’s the girl you’ve been looking for.”

He took out a folded up piece of paper, the one from the old confessional at the church. He handed it to him.

Jonathon gasped. “By god. I never thought we’d find her this easily. And with that beast.” He stood up rapidly from his cushioned chair. “Round up the others. Tell them we’ve found Sage.”