All the World's a Stage Part 3

She didn’t hate him. Despite everything he had done wrong and all the stupidity and pain he’d caused, Grace didn’t hate him. She had danced with him and kissed him and tormented him. She’d made him tell her again that he was in love with her and never said the words back but she didn’t hate him. It was enough to make him grin like a fool. But then again, Nate had no problem being a love struck fool. His hand was wrapped gently around hers as she led them off the dance floor and to the side where Ophelia and Colby were having a discussion, both of them looking awfully smug.

“Well?” Colby asked with a smirk on his face as Nate and Grace came close enough to hear over the background music and people.

“What, do you think I owe you a thank you or something?” Nate replied, sounding sarcastic. “Ophelia I’ll thank. Grace I’ll thank. But I don’t even like you…” Nate teased. Despite his words he offered his hand out to the other man, knowing that even if they didn’t like each other, he’d helped this moment happen for Nate anyways.

Colby grinned and shook Nate’s hand. They were at truce it seemed, at least Nate was more than willing to give the man a chance to prove he was worth Ophelia’s affection. “You want that thank you, you’re going to have to take that lovely lady by your side there and go dance.” Nate demanded and he heard Grace laugh while Opi shot him a cold look. Ophelia certainly didn’t like his blatant meddling but he really didn’t care right now. This was the night she was going to commit suicide, and he had this last chance to convince her otherwise. And it wasn’t even in his power to do. But Colby, he might just be able to.

“How can I resist a challenge like that?” Colby replied sarcastically. “May I have this dance Ophelia?” Colby asked the icy blonde. Nate could see her glare at him for a moment but when she looked at Colby he saw the almost indistinguishable softening in her eyes.

“Certainly.” Ophelia replied and was led out onto the floor by Colby.

“How did I never see that before?” Grace asked, sounding astonished.

“Because you were too blinded by my idiocy to be free to look for it.” Nate admitted with a shrug. “I’m quite a spectacular mess sometimes.”

“You certainly are.” Grace didn’t argue the point which only made Nate grin more. It was like nothing had changed between them at all. Except that everything had. It all felt better now, right and like it was supposed to. She gave him an amused look as he continued to beam at her. “Well, I don’t think the kids need our attention here and I certainly don’t want a chaperone. What say you to leaving the Ball and getting into some interesting trouble?” Grace offered and Nate laughed a little nervously.

“Whatever you want M’Lady.” Nate offered with a wink and a bow, feeling his heart start to hammer. She hadn’t said what kind of trouble but it didn’t matter to him. He’d follow her into Hell and hold her purse while she traded insults with the devil if that’s what she wanted. Though hopefully not because he did want to at least pretend to not be so…. Well trained. Maybe he had a little more machismo than he normally realized.

“First things first, I want to see this picture you’ve been working on.” Grace said as they worked their way through the crowd. There were still people arriving, the Ball had only just begun and yet Nate didn’t care at all that they were already leaving. He felt a little bad about taking off without making sure Ophelia was alright but some gut instinct told him that Colby would be there to take all the care of her that she would refuse to admit she needed.

“What gave away the fact that I’ve been working on a picture?” Nate asked, not bothering to deny it. He was going to do his best to keep no more secrets from her. It might be an impossible task, but that seemed the best option to keep things between them golden.