Chapter 7

Zayn’s P.O.V

I stood outside of the gymnasium in my tuxedo, listening to the faint sound of ‘I Feel Like Dancin’ by All Time Low.

I feel like dancing tonight

I’m gonna party like it’s my civil right

It doesn’t matter where, I don’t care if people stare

Because I feel like dancing tonight.

Katie stood beside me, watching me.

“Wanna go in?” she asked. I nodded and we strolled in. The whole gym was decorated streamers and balloons, colourful lights splashed every corner of the gym. There were couples everywhere except for a little corner where a group of guys stood together. I guess they didn’t find dates. I found Kylie and Jess, standing near a table on the left. Linking my arm with Katie’s, we walked over there.

Kylie was wearing a dark blue dress that complimented her eyes very well. She had very little makeup on, but she didn’t need it. Here face glowed in the light. Seeing her made me blush a little.

“Hey guys” said Kylie. She stuck her hand out towards Katie. “Hi. I’m Kylie”

“Nice to meet you. I’m Katie” Katie replied, looking a bit embarrassed. I don’t blame her. If I were a girl, I would shamed by my looks just by looking at Kylie.

“Well Katie, you look lovely” said Kylie. Wow, she doesn’t pull out fancy words like ‘lovely’ unless she was trying to be polite.

“Thank you” Katie replied shyly. Kylie looked over at me staring at her and added “So do you Zaynie”

I blushed but I didn’t want her to see so I said “I’m getting some punch” and I left the group. I walked over to the snack table and grabbed 2 cups of punch, one for me, and one for Kylie. As I walked back over, I offered one to Kylie but the moment I did it, she cleared her throat and eyed Katie. Oh right, Katie was my date. Trying to cover it up by stretching out my other arm, I turned at handed one to Katie who smiled and thanked me.

Suddenly, the song ‘Kiss me’ by Ed Sheeran came on and Kylie’s face lit up.

“Oh my gosh! I love this song!” she exclaimed.

Jess smiled and bowed in front of her. “Would you like to dance?”

“Sure” Kylie replied and Jess led her out to the dance floor. I watched as Kylie wrapped her hand around Jess and Jess put his hands on her hips. They started chatting and I felt a pang of jealousy. I grabbed Katie and pulled her to the dance floor.

“I’m not really good at dancing” she said.

“It’s alright. Just try your best” I said back, not wanting to hurt her feelings by saying I was kind of only dancing to spy on Kylie and Jess. I watched as Jess said something that made her giggle and look down.

After the song had ended, the 4 of us walked back to the side to rest.

“I’m really not good at dancing” said Kylie, laughing.

Jess put his arm around her. “You did just fine darling”

At this moment, a few of the guys from the “flying solo” group in the corner came over.

“Hey there” the short one said to Kylie. “You looked pretty good out there”

“Thanks” she said, blushing slightly.

“Maybe you should dance with me sometime” said his friend. Kylie blushed even more and looked down.

“I’m here with someone” she said.

“That doesn’t mean you can’t dance with us another time” the guy said, wiggling his eyebrows. God, what a creep.

Kylie looked down and then smiled sweetly at him. I knew that smile. She was about to let some serious cussing explode from her. Jess however, didn’t seem to know that look. At that moment, he stepped in before Kylie could say anything.

“Sorry guys. But Kylie’s my date tonight” he said. He gave them a glare, daring them to say anything back.

“Alright” said the short one. They backed up and went back to their corner. Jess turned to Kylie, his expression serious.

“What were you doing?” he asked furiously.

“Well I was about to tell them off” she replied.

“Yeah right” he said sarcastically. “That smile on your face said something else”

“Honestly! I swear-“ her words were cut off by a loud sound that came from Jess’s hand hitting her. If it weren’t for the loud music, I’m sure the whole gym would’ve heard the sound of Jess slapping Kylie.

Kylie’s eyes filled with tears. She didn’t say anything but she left the room.

“I’ll go check on her” said Katie and she ran out after her.

When I turned back to Jess, I realized that he was also leaving the room. I ran out after him.

I ran out onto the street, trying to catch up with Jesse.

“Jesse!” I grabbed his arm. “Bro, why did you hit Kylie?!”

 “It’s none of your business” he shook me off and continued walking. I grabbed him again.

“Hey. She’s my best friend. I care about her too” I said.

He sighed into the cool night, a fog forming in front of him, and looked away. “Look, she was obviously flirting with those other guys. I can’t deal with that”

“That doesn’t mean you can hit her! And plus, you flirt with other girls everyday!” I yelled. I could feel my anger rising and I tried to push it down but it just kept coming back up.

“What’s done is done” he said simply.

“Jess, you need to go back and apologize”

He looked at me. His eyes flashed with something. Something I’ve never seen before.

“I can do what I want. You don’t have any place in this matter” he said. His voice was low, like a dog growling a warning at an intruder.

“I told you. I’m her friend”

“You sound like she’s more than a friend to you” he said. I suddenly realized that the look in his eye was from anger. He’d never been this mad in front of me before.

“What?” I said, taken aback by his comment. “Why would I like her?”

“Don’t deny it”. He took a step towards me and I stepped back, afraid to come closer to him. Jess has been taking boxing since he was 5. You would be an idiot to fight him. “You’re just going to flirt with her like those other guys. With your precious childhood friend

“Come on! I have never once flirted with her” I said.

“How do I know you’re not lying? You’ve been spending a lot of time with her lately. Without me” He took another step forward. “Are you trying to come between us?”

“You’re my FRIEND! I WOULDN’T DO THAT!” Jess looked at me for a few seconds before retreating a few steps, walking backwards.

“Fine. Whatever” he said as he started to walk across the street, not taking his eyes off me. I wanted to call him back. But, he’s probably better off being alone. He needs to calm down before I confront him again. Giving me one last glare, he turned around.

That’s when the bus hit him.