Chapter 7 "Rain"

**1 Year Later**

Cato’s PoV

I look up at the foggy sky, filled with grey clouds. The school was filled with chattering students, completely ignoring me. Still an outsider since my very first day. Clove was too, I guess, there wasn’t anything we could do to change that. I walk home alone as a few raindrops come falling from the sky. One falls softly on my cheek and more begin to fall. After a few minutes I speed up my pace because it starts pouring down on me. I see a black umbrella ahead of me and when that person takes a turn, I see her long dark hair move while she turns her head towards me. She smiles and I simply just give her my casual smirk. I shake my head, uselessly trying to dry my hair. She holds her hand cutely over her mouth trying to cover up her laugh. I run to her and snatch the umbrella off of her.

“Not fair!” She yells playfully.

“You left me in the rain!” I argue back. She attempts to grab the umbrella off me but ends up falling on someone’s front lawn and pulling me down with her.

The rain continues to fall harder and harder as we have a mud fight. I try getting up but a pile of mud hits me sending my face straight into the ground. I attack Clove and fall right on top of her. She lets out a high-pitched scream and laughs uncontrollably. I pick up a pile of mud ad throw it at her, without aim and it hits her near her neck.

“You are so going to pay for that.” She yells out to me and uses two of her hands to scoop up a giant amount of mud and runs to me. I brace myself as mud splatters all over my face and body. She starts laughing at me and I laugh along with her.

“Seriously we should get home.” She continues to laugh. I nod in agreement.

Clove’s PoV

The rain washes the mud off my skin. There was no use for the umbrella anymore. I glance at Cato who looks back at me, the water dropping off the ends of his spiky blonde hair. I’m instantly lost when see his cloudy blue-grey eyes from the reflection of the sky. His face was pale from the cold winds and icy cold raindrops bouncing off his cheeks. It hits me that I was staring and I quickly look away and feel myself blushing. I sweep all my hair to one side and wring it out. Muddy water comes draining out of it while we arrive home.

“Well, that was fun.” Cato states.

“Very. I’ll talk to you later.” I hug him and ring my doorbell. My dad opens the door and his jaw drops wide open.

“What the hell happened to you, Clove?”

“You should see Cato.” I joke while he runs in to get a towel. My father hands me the towel and I wrap myself in it. I smell the delicious aroma of my mum cooking dinner.

“You’re back home late. I wonder why.” My mum turns to me. Blade comes running downstairs and looks at me like I’m some kind of ghost.

“I was hanging out with Cato.” I answer.

“You mean your boyfriend.” My dad adds in.

“You two ‘hang out’ a lot, what do you two really do?” My mum laughs.

“We normally just talk or fight. I’m not joking.”

“Sure sure.” My parents say.

“You stink.” My brother comments while holding his nose.

“Be quiet Blade.” I say angrily. He looks at me with his eyebrows creased.

I ignore my brother and walk upstairs. I drop my bag in my room and grab some pyjamas. I walk into the bathroom just across my room and turn on the water to let the water heat up. I strip down and step in the shower and rinse my body and hair in the warm water. I look at the steam rising from my arms after I finish then dry myself quickly. I slip on my giant hoodie and sweatpants and head to my room. I grab my A4 sketchpad and permanent marker. I peer at the window with hope that Cato was there. And he was. I push my fringe out of my face and smile. He grabs his sketchpad and marker too. We used this when it was raining or snowing.

‘Get in trouble?” I scribble on and show it to him.

“Yeah, you?”

‘Nope. It was your fault anyway.’

“You still fought.”

‘And won.’

“Just this once.”

‘You’re an idiot.’

“So are you, Clover.”

My dad walks in my room and chuckles a bit.

“Interrupting something lovey-dovey, am I?” He teases.

“No, not at all.”

“Time for dinner, go say bye to your boyfriend now.” I roll my eyes and wave to Cato.