Chapter 4 "Friendly Competition"

***Two Years Later***

Cato’s PoV

My heart skips a beat when Clove punches my arm while we walk to the Training Academy after school. My school was different, it had all ages from five to eighteen so I would stay with her for a long time.

“I’m still better than you.” I taunt.

“That’s just your ego talking.” She says with a smirk.

“Well you’re the one to talk!”

“How do I have a big ego? Mr I’m like the strongest person ever.” She says cleverly.

“Not my fault that I’m strong, Miss I’m the best at throwing knives.” I imitate in a high-pitched voice.

“I never said that!”

“I bet you thought it before then.”

“Shut it.” She says while making a zipping motion across her mouth.

“I’m still a better fighter than you.”

“You wanna bet?” She says, with her arms crossed.

“Your knives versing my sword. No chance.” I laugh. She rolls her eyes and we enter the revolving doors of the academy.

“Arguing again, I see?” Enobaria jokes.

“Yup.” Clove says while we walk into the elevator and hit the button.

“I still hate you.” She mumbles.

“What was that? You love me? Aww thanks, I love you too Clover.” I say loudly.

“Very funny.” She responds while blushing. There was a silence the rest of the way up until we break it by laughing.

When the door opens we quickly grab our weapons and stand around the room ready to fight. A knife lands in the wall right next to my head.

“Ha! Good one Clover!” I yell out.

“I’m just getting started.” She yells back and gets another knife ready. Before she could throw it, I run up to her and tackle her. She fights me off and knees me in the gut in her defence. She manages to squeeze her way to get back up again. I stand up and a knife flies past me, leaving a cut on my stomach. A chuckle escapes from her lips leaving her distracted for a split second, big mistake. I slam her against the wall and hold the sword to her neck.

“Looks like I win.” I smirk.

“Not so fast.” Clove gives a nod to the side. I turn my head and see knife pointing at me.

“Tie?” I say nervously.

“Tie.” She answers.

“You cheated.” I state while I let go of her.

“Did not.” She argues.

“Yes, you did.”

“You’re just embarrassed.”

I poke my tongue out at her and then we go to our stations.

Clove’s PoV

After a while, the head trainer walks into the middle of the room. Everyone stops what they’re doing and gives their attention to him.

“Tomorrow will be the Reaping, as you already know. Who would like to represent District Two this year?”

I glance at Cato who was already looking at me and blush then smile at the ground.

“We just need a male volunteer, we have got the female, Winter Hadley.”

I look at Cato’s face, knowing that that was his older sister. She was the right age though and she had a good chance of winning. A tall muscular guy steps forward, he had dark brown hair and a slightly chubby face. 

“Good. Tomorrow, just volunteer for anyone who is reaped unless you think they can do it themselves.”

He nods and the head trainer dismisses us.

After training, we go back to our secret place and l lie on the patches of clovers. Cato lies down next to me and lets out a big sigh.

“Why don’t you spend time with your sister?” I ask nicely.

“Because I’d rather be spending it with you.” He smiles at me. I blush again then think, “What the hell is wrong with you? Stop blushing!”

“But your sister might not come out alive!” I yell worriedly.

“I think she’ll win. She’s been training since she was five.”

“What if she doesn’t?” I overreact.

“Why are you so worried? She’s my sister.” He asks while raising an eyebrow.

“I’m worried of how upset you’ll be if she doesn’t win.”

“At least I’ll have a shoulder to cry on.” He smirks.

“Whatever. I can’t wait for the day I go into the Hunger Games.” I say proudly.

“Well, I’ll go in when you go in. Deal?”

“Only one comes out though.”

“I bet I will be that person.” Cato brags.

“Oh, it’s on.” I challenge.