Chapter 2 "Throwing Knives"

Clove’s PoV

I felt some weird connection with the throwing knives. I hang my school bag on a hook and Cato hangs his next to mine.

“Cato, where do I go?” I ask nervously.

“Just go to whatever weapon you like and practice. In a few weeks you get marked by your talent. I’m good with swords and I think you like the knives.”

“Okay, thanks. I’ll see you later?” I smile.

“We’ll walk home together.” He says while walking to the elevator. I see a tall lady with tanned skin and dark hair standing by the throwing knife station. I figured she was the mentor for the station then I recognised her. She was my idol, victor of the sixty-second Hunger Games. I stare in awe of her golden teeth, as sharp as razors. I remembered watching her on TV, ripping a fellow tribute’s throat out with her teeth.

“Hi, my name’s Enobaria and your new here.” She greets warmly.

“I’m Clove.” I say, trying to sound confident.

“Well, Clove, I was just about to give a demonstration. You can go sit down over there.” She says while pointing to a group of people. I walk over there and sit on the ground.

“Okay guys, watch me.” Enobaria commands and everyone in the throwing knives section gave her their attention. She starts throwing the knives to the targets, as they get further away, she perfected it though.

“So that’s how you do it. It’s about your aim, guys. If you need any help just ask.”

Everyone scatters around the section and I grab several knives. I walk over to a few targets and aim for my first throw. I swing my arm and I look in amazement of how I threw it. It was in the middle of the furthest target. Suddenly I feel everyone’s eyes on me then I hear clapping from all around the room. I look around and smile at everyone. I bask in my glory and happiness while Enobaria walks towards me.

“I think the weapon chose you. You’re a natural!” She exclaims.

“Thanks.” I say gratefully.

She nods and yells, “Everyone back to training!”

I continue throwing knives while getting better and better at it. Time flew quickly like lightning and it was soon time to go home.

Cato’s PoV

I put my sword back in its stand, along with everyone else’s weapons. I go to the elevator once it had cleared out and press the button to go the ground level. I grab my bag and run out the revolving door.

“Let’s head back, now.” I say to her. She nods. When we arrive home, she gives me a hug and whispers, “We’ll talk through our windows.”

She does a cute run inside and I have a warm feeling. I walk in and go straight upstairs, into my room. I throw my bag on the floor and get out a few books. I start writing and a few seconds later I hear a knock on my window. Clove was leaning from her window, unsteadily. My eyes widen and I run to window to slide it open.

“Don’t do that every again! You'll could get hurt!” I warn her and hold her by her shoulders and push her up.

“Sorry…” She says sadly.

“It’s alright, Clove.” I say while smiling. “I wanted to ask you before, but why are you adopted? You don’t have to tell me, if you don’t want to.”

“No, its fine.” She answers then tells her story.

“Oh, I’m so sorry.” I say with pity.

“Don’t feel sorry for me, if it wasn’t for that, I wouldn’t have met a best friend like you!” She exclaims happily.

“Thanks.” I say with a nervous, half-smile.

“Just don’t tell anyone about that, it’s my biggest secret.” She adds in.

“Well, I’ve got to go finish my homework now, see you tomorrow!” I say while shutting my window and going back to my homework.