Part Venticinque

The sunset would have been much prettier, but the sun’s rising was enough for me. Its rays shone through every inch of the window, radiating everything in the room. Little specks of dust floated in front of the curtains. I felt warm, too. On the inside and out. Everything was peaceful for the moment.

I knew all too well that these serene moments didn’t last very long, so I made the most of it. I sat on Kevon’s bed and relaxed. My mind was clear. There was nothing for me to do—I had packed my bag earlier, as Rakim instructed me to do the night before. I showered and ate a small breakfast.

So I just sat there in bliss silence. All I had were the sun and the specks of dust it was illuminating. The diamond ring on my finger glistened in the sunlight, reflecting groups of small circles on the wall whenever I turned it. This was the gift that was waiting for me when I woke up, right after Kevon and Jordan left.  

It would have been nice to say goodbye. Kevon and I definitely left off on the wrong foot. The gift he left didn’t patch things up. I didn’t even apologize to him.

Something suddenly knocked against the door, making me jump a little. The door then opened, revealing a smiling Rakim holding a heavy suitcase between his legs.

“You ready?” He asked. His smile was obviously forced. I could tell he was under major stress. I nodded and slipped on some sneakers before getting my bag.

“Why is your suitcase so heavy?” I asked.

“All the belongings of the entire A$AP Mob is in this suitcase.” Rakim responded, patting the front of the suitcase. “We couldn’t afford to get individual bags for each of us,” he added once he saw the questioning look on my face. I chuckled.

“And to think you were just a millionaire.” I said, still laughing. Rakim’s face was serious, though. Too soon.

“Well come on downstairs—we have a flight to catch.” He said as he dragged the suitcase out of the room. Once he closed the door, I sighed in relief. I was on-edge the whole time, expecting him to notice the ring on my finger. Fortunately, he didn’t. I slid the ring off and secured it in my bag. It was time to go.

I marched out of the room and downstairs, to where the rest of my big brothers were. Some of them were thanking Benny for their stay, and others were already making their way out the door. I hugged Benny briefly before leaving. But before I even walked out the door, I almost stumbled back in.

Click-clack, BOOM!

That short sequence of sounds kept ringing through the air as we all ducked for cover. I didn’t know where to look or hide—everyone was out of sight, probably hiding since they knew they weren’t armed. I was snatched roughly suddenly and pushed into the lawn. When I looked back, I saw that my savior was Dom.

He always had my back.

I watched intensely as Dom’s nervous, short breath brushed against my neck. I remembered suddenly that he wasn’t as old as he came off to be—he was the same age as Kevon. He was just as scared as I was.

It seemed like just five men lined the front of the house, pointing their guns at the one man standing up to them; Rakim. He didn’t look scared, but then again, I could barely see the side of him. He seemed to be holding something at the men.

I wanted to scream out his name, but I knew that would just get me in trouble. So I held my hand over my heart to slow down its pace, and watched the horrifying scene to follow.

One of the guys abruptly had a bloody hole in their stomach and fell to the ground. The other had the same kind of hole in his knee. The third one had a bloody wound in the shoulder. The fourth and fifth ones, knowing better than to stand there and have the same fate as their friends, ran down the block rapidly.

“Y’all just wait! Wait until Mango hear about this!” One of the guys shouted.

“We’ll have him and the 5-O on yo’ ass!” The other one called. Soon, they were off the block, and Rakim stood still. Slowly, each of us came out of our hiding spots and stared at Rakim. I looked back and saw even Benny peeping at the situation from his window.

“What the--?”

“We have to go.” Rakim interrupted Ferg. We all stared at him like he was crazy, but he didn’t take his eyes off of the guys for a long time. Then he looked back and gave Benny a long stare, as if to say: You saw nothing.

And then we were rushing to the airport, and I had a harsh realization on my mind the whole time…

Rakim just shot people.

                                                               * * *

By the time we got to Guyana’s Cheddi Jagan International Airport, the televisions were already displaying breaking news of a ‘mass robbery’ that took place in Philadelphia, right at Benny’s house.

“Five armed robbers came to kill the owner of the home, Benjamin Sealy, and take all of his belongings. Instead of losing his life, Sealy used one gun to murder one of the men and severely injure two others. The two other men ran away.” The news anchor reported. She then began to describe the appearances of the two men that fled, and provide a number to call if they were seen.

I looked at Rocky as we waited for our bags to slide down the aisle. He kept glancing at the TV screen, and looking around nervously. I could tell it troubled him. It would trouble anyone in his situation—this was his first time actually…

“Come on.” Rakim announced suddenly. He dragged the guys’ bags on the wheels and handed me mine. I slung it over my shoulders and followed them into the warm sun of Guyana.

This was my first actual Caribbean trip. I’d never been to any island, though my mother said I have some tropical roots in me.

We travelled quietly along the streets, wiping our sweat occasionally. Although some of us exchanged a few brief words about the scenery, Dom was the only one who was perfectly silent. He looked at the ground with his lips hanging open. Frequently he would look up, but only when Rocky’s suitcase would bang on something or a loud noise would come from somewhere. Then he’d go back to breathing silently and staring at the sandy ground.

He was traumatized.

“Dom, are you okay?” I whispered to him. His head snapped to my direction. Dom’s eyes crossed my face quickly, and then a brief ashamed expression flushed his face. Then he looked right back down. I already knew the answer to the question I’d asked him.

Soon, we were at Guiding Light Hotel. Rakim instructed Ferg to sign us in while we all resorted to the water fountain for a refreshing drink.

“So…what now?” I asked Rakim softly. He swallowed the remainder of his water.

“You’re the leader of this mission, Tre.” He said, looking off into space.

I paused, thinking about what this meant. “And my first duty?”

“Find me that bitch Nicole.”