Part Ventitre.

This was like the first day of school. Every kid gets excited for it, but on the actual day, they dread stepping into their school building. It was just like that now. I was so thrilled to be on the phone with Rakim, hearing him breathlessly describe the settings around him.

“I’m just a block away, Tre.” He chuckled. “You can hang up the phone now.”

“Are you sure? I can’t have you lying to me.” I replied jokingly. He laughed again.

“I promise you, I’m only a few feet away from the house.”

My excitement grew then. I was finally going to see him. He was gone for what felt like years, but was only a few days. So we said our goodbyes on the phone, and I couldn’t help but smile widely as I sat impatiently in front of Benny’s front door. I waited for them. I waited for him.

And then suddenly, the door flew open. The boiling in my stomach turned into something else. Anxiousness? No. I had always been anxious. But now, I felt….scared, terrified, like crying.

“Hey.” Rakim said as he came through the door, a sweet smile tugging on his lips. I forced a smirk in return and tried my best not to shiver. The rest of the crew piled in behind him, dropping down their little bags tiredly. They greeted me briefly. Half of them headed straight for the fridge, and the other half went to bed. Rakim stayed right where he was, staring at me with that painfully beautiful smile.

He leaned down and kissed my forehead, sending chills through me.

“Did you miss me?” He asked. I smiled and nodded.

“Yeah…a lot.” I hugged him tightly. I needed his arms around me. It was like medicine, like a bandage to fix all of my problems.

He squeezed back tightly, letting me know that he missed me just as much as I did him. When he let go, he went upstairs to ‘talk business’ with Benny. I watched as he marched up the steps two at a time. Just as he got up to the second floor, Kevon’s door swung open and he stepped out. The two exchanged quick glances before passing each other.

Kevon looked at me as he came down the stairs. I thought for a minute he was coming to hit me as he approached me, but he just walked straight past me and walked out the door. I released a breath I didn’t know I was holding.

This was going to be interesting.

                                                 * * *

“So what happened exactly?” Dom asked after slurping down a glass of juice.

“We went to find Mango, and we couldn’t. He’s somehow off the grid. We tried everything. We even spoke to someone who used to work for him, who told us that he had been trying to find Mango too. No one knows where the cat is.” Ferg replied, tracing his finger over the brim of his own glass.

I eavesdropped as I sat and wondered where Kevon ran off to. I could’ve sworn he shot me a sly smirk before walking out the door. Did he have something planned? Or did my fear just amuse him?

“That’s bad.” Dom muttered.

“Yeah, but at least we didn’t find him and get shot up.” Twelvy butted in. A few of the guys expressed agreement, but Nast kept his ground.

“I’m disappointed that we still haven’t confronted that sucker.” Nast said.

“But what about Danny? Any word on him?” Dom asked them.

“Everything was vague. We did find out what hospital he was in before he was released. They told us the only address they know for him, but he wasn’t there. All of the people in that area told us something about a secret flight to the Caribbean when we asked.” Bari explained.