Silver Horizons | 10

"I'm not prepared for a zombie apocalypse. I need more bottled water, shotgun, and stronger abs. I have plenty of canned food." - Jenna Fischer

We figured that since the car was already pretty much trashed, it wouldn’t hurt to camp out in Fred Meyer. So we did the usual procedure and made sure that it was safe and secure, except this time we locked all the doors and set up barricades. The number of zombies from in the parking lot was unreal, and we’d never seen so many zombies up until then. We could never be too sure.

            We found sleeping bags but no tents, and we were all grouped together in the middle of the store. Our guns were close by just in case our mini fortress was breached. Kyle had found the light switch, and so at least we had some light.

            Forest was still coddling Annie, asking her if she was sure that she was okay and things along those lines. Kyle and I hadn’t had time to talk about her bite, but we were planning on making time right now.

            “I’m going to go see if there’s any food that we can salvage. Maybe there was something that we missed,” I said, starting to walk away.

            “I’ll come with you.” Kyle caught up with me and bumped my shoulder with his. “Hey.”

            We continued walking through the store, peering down each aisle, looking for the canned food section. “Good,” I said. “You remembered that we needed to talk.”

            He was silent for a minute, and I wondered if he was even listening to me, then, “Yeah. Annie’s bite, right?”

            My mood suddenly darkened. I didn’t want to have to talk about this, but it was a matter that had to be discussed. “Yeah, what are we going to do about that? I mean, Forest obviously hasn’t figured it out yet, and when he does, is he even going to accept it?”

            Kyle shrugged. “He likes her.”

            “Yeah,” I agreed, “but liking someone so much even though they’re a danger to us? Ky, if she really is bit—which she most certainly is—then she’s dangerous. She could turn at any moment, and then she would kill us. Plus, I don’t know if Forest would want to see his whatever she is to him turn into a zombie and be . . . like that.”

            Sighing, Kyle said, “You’re right. But still. What are we going to do about it? Kill her?”

            “That’s the reasonable decision.”

            “So what? Pop her one and then bolt? Do we bring Forest? He’ll obviously be pissed at us if we do that. You know, shoot her.”  

            I didn’t respond, and we kept on walking down the aisles until we finally came across the canned foods. Everything looked pretty destroyed, but I tried to have some hope. We were running low on food, and we would die without food. It’d be sad to be living in the zombie apocalypse and to die from starvation rather than turning into a zombie.

            Kyle and I walked down the aisle, picking up cans as we went along. Whatever we could eat we held onto and whatever was demolished we tossed to the side.

            “Not much, is there?” Kyle asked, coming up beside me with a few cans in his arms. “I’ve got beans, peaches, pears, and green beans. Yum.”

            I laughed despite the reality of the situation. We hadn’t found much, and if we didn’t eat, then we were screwed. “Yeah, I didn’t get much either. A few cans of pears, too. Do you think there’s anywhere that we can check?”