Silver Horizons | 1

Elijah's a girl. :3

Also, I said that Elijah remembers everything. yeah, I'm taking that out when I edit this book, so just forget that Elijah remembers everything, because that little tidbit about her is irritating to write. Thanks, and enjoy the story (:

Oh and yes there's a lot of cursing in this.

___________

"We are living on the brink of the apocalypse, but the world is asleep." – Joel C. Rosenberg

“Road trip!” Kyle my imbecile of a brother shouted as he tossed his bag into the back of the car and came around the side to hop inside. Once he was seated beside me, he turned to me with a huge grin on his face. “Aren’t you excited, Elijah? A road trip!”

            That was the thing about my little brother. At fifteen, he was two years younger than me and those two years couldn’t make more of a difference. Our family had never been on a road trip before—Kyle’s definition of a road trip was an extended car ride to a destination that wasn’t home in which we’d be staying there for over a night—and for some reason my little brother found the idea of a road trip extra exciting.

            As for me, I could care less. Packing wasn’t my strong suit, and it definitely wasn’t something I wanted to spent three hours of my life doing. Honestly, I’d wished that our parents would let me stay home. But no. It was a family vacation, which of course required the whole of our family.

            “Yeah,” I said in reply to Kyle’s earlier excitement, “road trip. Yay.”

            Kyle scoffed. “You don’t seem happy about it, Elijah. Why not? We’ve never been on a road trip before.”

            “Because,” I explained, “all a road trip is a long car ride where I get more and more irritated with you.”

            That efficiently shut him up, albeit I did feel a bit guilty for shooting down his happiness. He was my brother and I loved him, but his obsession with road trips was more than stupid. He’d been obsessed with the actual road trip itself ever since our parents announced it a little over two weeks ago. We were going to visit our aunt Harriet in California, which was more than a day’s worth of a drive, so this entire experience should be fun, shouldn’t it?  

            Both Mom and Dad climbed into the car and drove out of the drive way, pulling into the neighborhood street.

We’d been driving for exactly 20 minutes so far. I’d counted. Ever since I was a young girl, I’d had a . . . gift. Not a supernatural gift that allowed me to see the future or anything of that sort. No it was just my brain that tended to remember everything. Every little aspect of my life was commended to memory. Nobody really knew why, but that was just how it was. I’d learned to accept it by now.

            But that was how I knew that it was exactly 20 minutes since we left our house. Some might call me a freak or a weirdo for being able to remember everything, but it came to my benefit at times. For examples, tests were the easiest thing in the world for me. The answers came so easily due to the fact that they were permanently etched into my brain for all eternity.

            “Elijah? Kyle?” Mom’s voice carried from the front of the car to the back. Her head turned, she was looking back at Kyle and I. “Are you guys hungry?”

            “No thanks,” Kyle said, but Mom didn’t listen to him, and she handed me the bag of Pringles chips either way.

            I gave her a nod of thanks, and she seemed to understand, because she smiled at me.