Chapter Six

Chapter Six

                                                                 (Stephanie’s point of view)

I awoke in a cold sweat, my heart racing having had a terrible nightmare. I climbed out of bed and walked across the room to the door, reaching out for the knob. When I griped it, the knob was ice cold, I just shook it off and opened the door to a black hall way and reached to flip on the light switch but when I flipped it; there was no light. The hall remained black, "fantastic" I thought to myself. As I creped down the hall into the darkness, my arms in front of me feeling out for my path, about halfway down the hall by my best guess the temperature dropped much colder.

"STEPHANIE"

I heard whispered from a short distance, I froze in my tracks and listened intently; my body trembling with fear. As every hair on it stood straight up, I fought the darkness with my intent stare trying to see who whispered my name.

"STEPHANIE"

This time it whispered directly into my left ear, I jumped and ran down the hall to my parent’s room screaming and crying for them. I could feel the presence of whomever had been taunting me, right behind me; I was so scared my chest hurt. I raced through the door of my parent’s room and to the side of the bed, feeling out for them as I screamed but they were not in the bed; my fear grew even more. As I spun around in the darkness and still could see nothing, my body again began trembling as I cried, then I lunged forward to run for the stairs but something caught my hair and jerked me back and onto the bed. I felt a presence crawl on top of me sitting on me and holding my arms pinned against the bed, and then I felt them lean in close to me. I felt their breath on my neck and then my face but it wasn’t warm, it was cold, I screamed again for my parents.

"THERE IS NOBODY HERE EXCEPT YOU AND ME, STEPHANIE"

Then the weight released from me and I jumped up again running for the stairs, as I ran into the wall feeling for the door. As I felt it walk up behind me once again and touch my sides, as if it were caressing me, I screamed as my hands reached the door and I flung it open running out and to the top of the steps. As I tried to feel with my foot for the top step, the lights came back on and I became disoriented stumbling at the top of the steps. I began to lose my balance completely as I shielded my eyes from the piercing brightness of the lights, I began to fall backwards; I felt a hand grab my arm and stop me.

"YOU WILL NEVER GET AWAY FROM ME STEPHANIE, YOU'RE MINE NOW."

Then he let me go and I fell down the stairs rolling and tumbling till I smacked my head on the floor at the bottom, causing everything around me to seemingly go into slow motion. My vision was blurry, I felt as if I had no strength to move and confusion had set in; where were my parents? They wouldn’t have just left me here alone like this and who was this man that kept taunting me? After hitting my head, I didn’t so much feel fear as I did utter confusion; then I blacked out.