Introduction

Introduction

I awoke to the sound of creaking down stairs; I looked over to find my wife still asleep. I gently woke her up and alerted her to the sound.

"Oh my god John, not again be careful, alright? Last time didn’t end well."

I carefully climbed out of bed, reaching for my pistol I keep in the night stand, as this would be the third break in we have had this year. You would think these jackasses would refrain from breaking into the home with a sheriff's car parked in the damn driveway, but these damn kids take it as a personal challenge for some unknown reason.

I crept towards the door, switching off the safety on my pistol, holding it firmly in my grip. I ease the door open and walk silently to the stair case, listening intently to the rustling down stairs, still as I step down them flat footed as to not make any noise. I begin to hear whispering of three different people, as far as I could tell.

As I reach the bottom of the stairs, I hear them directly to my right but not wanting to confront them face to face. I decide to catch them from behind; they're far less likely to react negatively then. So I turn to my left going through the kitchen and around to the back hallway, walking down it quietly, I enter my daughter Stephanie’s room; waking her quietly.

"Steph honey, wake up, come on baby."

She woke up all groggy, "what dad, what’s going on?"

"Honey I want you to take your phone, crawl under your bed and call 911. I want you to give them the address and tell them there has been a break in, and that Sheriff Riley is pursuing the perpetrators involved but is requesting back up. I need you to do it quietly, can you do that honey?"

"Yes daddy, I think I can do that."

I helped her quietly out of the bed and crawl underneath of it, handing her the phone, and then creeping out the door leading to the family room, closer to the men standing by the entrance of my office. What the hell could they want from my office? I crept up behind them drawing down on them.

"Alright don’t anybody move, police department, you’re under arrest"

All three of them froze in their places, I instructed them to put their hands behind their heads and drop to their knees then lie face down with their hands, remaining on the back of their heads all three of them did as told. I stepped into the office, not seeing a fourth man hiding behind the door as I went to grab some zip ties to subdue the three men. The last sound I heard was a shot ring out and struck me in the back as I collapsed to the floor, a loud ringing in my ears and extreme burning in my upper back near my shoulder, a warm sensation in my lungs as I struggled to breathe though it felt as if I were drowning.

Oh my god I think the bullet pierced my lung, I am going to lie here and drown in my own blood while there is nobody to protect my family, were the thoughts running through my mind. As the burning sensation turned to intense debilitating pain as I watched the three men, that had been lying in front of me return to their feet grabbing my computer, unhooking it and heading for the door. I fought to turn around and lift my gun, firing, striking one of the men in the back of the head as another one turned and returned fire on me; hitting me in the chest then running away. I fell backwards flush against the floor I could feel the warm blood flowing from me, soaking into the carpet as I began to get dizzy and light headed, then my vision got more and more blurry till everything went black.