Parting Ways

A/N: My summer has been super busy and stressful. I haven't updated this in forever and I am so sorry guys. I've written this chapter about 10 times and I hated it every time  but I have to update. Thank you for bearing with me. I hope you enjoy this chapter! :)

Calum's POV

I had tried calling and texting Luke all night, but he hadn't gotten back to me. I was worried that Luke might have gotten shit from his teammates. I couldn't see Luke until we had practice again today.

"What's wrong?" Ash whispered from behind me.

I shifted my chair and turned my head slightly to the left. Our teacher always had his back turned to the class, but we were constantly getting called out for talking to each other. "Luke hasn't called me all night."

"Dude, he did mess up big time yesterday," Ash said, his eyes flickering to the teacher.

"Well, yeah. I just don't want it to affect us, you know?" I said.

Ash placed his hand on my shoulder. "Look man, it's going to be all right."

"Thanks," I said, but I was watching the clock and counting the seconds until I could talk to Luke again.

When it was time for practice, my eyes were glued to the crowd that came outing into the field. I saw Luke with his head down, clutching onto the soccer ball. I was so tempted to run up to him, but I couldn't risk attracting attention to us again.

-------------------------------------------------------

Luke's POV

Calum tried to reach me all night, making it so that I couldn't sleep knowing that I had purposefully ignored him. I knew I would have to explain to Calum everything, but I had no energy left in me to do so. I sneaked a quick look at Calum only to see that my coach was watching my every move so I kept my head down. 

"Did you talk to Calum yet? He's just staring you down," Mikey said, nudging me.

"I haven't spoke to him since yesterday," I said.

"Is this about the ball pass?" he asked.

"Sort of. Coach asked me not to get to close to Calum because he is too much of an distraction. I can't even look over at Calum without Coach giving me the death stare."

"Coach can't ask you to do that. Look, no one here blames you for what happened yesterday."

"Really? It certainly seemed like everyone wanted to kick me off the team," I said, rolling my eyes.

Mikey was starting to get frustrated. "Mate, I'm trying to help and for the record, I wouldn't let the team talk shit about you."

I looked at Mikey. "I'm sorry. I- I'm just not in a good mood."

Mikey swung an arm around my shoulder as we walked towards the middle of the field with the rest of the team. "I know, but that's what I'm here for."

Calum's POV

My eyes squinted in disbelief. Did Michael put his arms around Luke? This entire time I thought Luke was upset about the accident during practice, but it was all about Michael. It was always about Michael. I couldn't believe this was happening all over again. 

I focused my attention on both the coaches who were starting the game right away. I was fired up and determined to win. This should have been my goal since the beginning. I was playing center forward. It was our kick so I tapped the ball into the open space. Both teams went at it and I did my best to follow the ball. 

I blocked a kick from Michael as soon as I saw the opportunity and smirked as I saw the look on his face. It was only a few minutes later when I saw the opportunity to come in between Michael and the ball again. I ran for the ball, twisting my body. My cleats dragged on the ground and I kicked the ball upwards towards Michael. My breath stopped as I realized what was going to happen and everything seemed to move slowly. I could see the fear in Michael's face as I winced and shut my eyes, preparing for the ball to land.

The ball hit Michael square in the chest, knocking him out on the ground. I gathered myself quickly and ran over to Michael frantically. Luckily, he was conscious and I was about to give him a hand up when Luke pushed me out of the way.

"What the fuck was that Calum?" Luke screamed. 

"I didn't mean it, I swear," I said. 

Everyone had started walk over to where we were. 

"Sure you didn't," Luke growled at me. 

"Yeah, like you didn't mean to pass the ball to me yesterday," I said, before I bit my tongue.

He paused. "Fuck you, Calum."

"Yeah, it's always my fault, isn't it?" I said angrily, before walking away.