7. encounters

The lesson with Mr. McCain started with the same hush as the day before, but more whispers penetrated the air than last time. Mr. McCain smiled with ease as if he had no clue that half the students were talking about him. I found myself listening to his calming voice again, and it seemed as if I hadn't even started taking notes when the lesson ended. This time, I made an attempt to swallow my nerves and headed to the front as the other students exited the classroom.

"Mr. McCain?"

He looked up from his notes. "There you are. I wondered if you'd leave me hanging after that conversation."

Heat rose to my cheeks "Sorry for yesterday."

"It's okay. You're Adam, right?"

I was shocked that he knew until I realized he'd called our names at one point. Of course he knew my name. It didn't mean anything.

"Adam?"

This spacing out was becoming a serious problem.

"Yes, sorry. Ehm." I was already embarrassed, might as well go all the way. "So I...I was going to ask if you need an assistant or something."

Mr. McCain checked his watch. That couldn't be a good sign.

"I really want to become a photographer," I added, hoping that would sway him.

His startling amber eyes snapped up to meet mine. "I can't offer anything at school, but perhaps you could assist me at some shoots I do during nights and weekends."

I knew that would limit my time with Gabriel, but it wouldn't take up all my free hours. Gabriel would have to share.

"Are you sure, I mean, that sounds great."

"Good. Why don't you head down here after classes are over today. We'll drive to my studio and I can show you around."

"Thanks. That would be awesome."

Mr. McCain's face lit up in a smile that seemed to be one for me alone, not like the smiles he'd given us all in class.

"I'll catch you later. Now I have to get going," he said, and if that wasn't enough, he had to look pointedly at the door before I found a way to move my legs.

I tried to walk with some kind of pride out of the classroom, even if I wanted to cower and run as fast as I could. I had no idea what made me behave like an idiot in front of the teacher, but that behavior would have to stop. Immediately.

After my next class, I found a secluded corner in the corridor. I checked my phone to see if Gabriel had tried to contact me and was slightly stung when nothing showed up. It was silly of me, but it was hard to shake the insecurity. Our dynamics had change so much since the beginning of term.

Trying to ignore my thoughts, I pressed call and put the phone to my ear, listening to the monotone signal on repeat until it broke off. I called again with the same result. He should've been out of his class, but maybe he'd left his phone somewhere. I noted that my battery was low, so I decided to send him a message instead.

Can we meet tonight? Found a job so I'll be gone for a few hours. Xox

I got the reply instantly.

What job? Where are you going?

I frowned. Surely he didn't mean it like that. He knew he had nothing to worry about.

Photography assistant. I'm going to Mr. McCain's studio. Love you.

* * * *

The halls slowly emptied while I waited outside Mr. McCain's office until single voices echoed between stone walls. He wasn't at his desk, and as I had been a few minutes late, I worried that he'd left without me. That worry made me walk back and forth, pacing between the door and the tall window that looked out over the campus.