3. sweet and tender

I shrugged into my jacket, clutching my beanie and mittens while Mom eyed me with concern. They weren't the least bit pleased with me going out into the snow to drive alone through the dark. Vera had a knowing look on her face, and she protested the least.

Any other day, I would have conceded to my mother's wishes to stay the night since she rarely asked me of anything. When she did, it was usually important. Besides, they had a point. I looked out of the window and almost changed my mind. It wasn't the best weather to drive in.

"I have new tires on the car. I'll be fine. I promise."

Dad adjusted his glasses. "That car is a piece of junk, great tires won't help you."

"Oh, shush! He's going to his lover," Vera said, grinning with that kind of knowledge big sisters seemed to thrive on. "Isn't it romantic?"

I tried to contain my blush, but failed miserably.

Dad muttered something and took a swig of scotch.

I gave them each a hug, holding on extra tightly because I felt bad for leaving them. "Bye everyone."

"Don't forget to call when you're there. No matter how late it is." Mom fussed with my jacket, clearly unhappy that I was on my way, but also too kind to stop me.

"I will."

I was halfway there when clouds rolled in and opened up, allowing large snowflakes to dance down from the sky to obscure my vision. It was beautiful in a way, and as the headlights struck the glittering surface of a lake, I decided to pull over. I didn't cut the lights and watched as countless crystals glistened while they fell toward the lake below. I hurried to get out my new camera and snapped a photo of the eerie atmosphere. Mom and Dad had spoiled me with a very expensive Christmas gift since I was about to take photography classes this term. Vera had stolen my last camera when Alicia was born, claiming that she had better need of one. I'd kind of agreed.

I stared out across the landscape, letting minutes pass by. It was cold and bitter, but stunning nonetheless. There was a loneliness to it as well, reminding me of how I had felt during the months after Gabriel had thrown me out.

Forcing a smile to my lips, I decided that I really had to stop wallowing over the past. We could only change our future.

* * * *

Half an hour later, I closed the car door and shifted from foot to foot in the ankle-deep layer of snow. It was far too cold to remove my mittens, but I'd promised Mom I'd call her. With fingers that quickly turned numb, I tapped on the screen and put the phone to my ear beneath my beanie.

Mom answered fast enough to make me wonder if she'd been hovering over the phone. "Hi love. Are you there yet?"

"Yes, I've arrived. Sorry for leaving like that." I felt bad, but not bad enough as I watched the warm glow from Gabriel's window.

Talking with her helped to keep my nerves at bay while I walked toward Gabriel's door, and we didn't finish the call until I stood right in front of it, tightening my fist to knock. By then, my stomach had come alive with flutters of soft wings.

I knocked and stood back, staring at the handle.

Faint shuffles reached me from the other side of the door, then with a creak, it opened.

Gabriel loomed above me. A few drops fell from his damp, tousled hair as if he'd just stepped out of the shower. His eyes gleamed, and his lips drew back into a smile. It was the most beautiful smile I had ever seen.