Chemical Attraction Chapter 25

Surprise Surprise! I've uploaded!!! I am so so so so sorry that it's taken me this long! I hope you all forgive me and that you enjoy this chapter! Let me know what you think in the comments below, and if you like it, please vote too! 

Chapter 25

 There was no reply.

 I hovered awkwardly outside his door, before knocking louder, hoping that maybe he hadn’t heard.  My short breaths punctuated the silence as I waited.

 Still no response.

 I sighed softly, my eyebrows scrunching together. My heart throbbed slightly as I realised he was ignoring me. Of course, there was always the chance he wasn’t there, but my intuition told me he was. Desperate to be certain, I pressed my ear against the door, holding my breath and listening hard. After a couple of heartbeats, I heard the unmistakeable creak of a chair, and the sound of slow breathing. He was there. Ignoring me. We were only a couple of feet away, and yet I’d never felt so apart.

Letting out a low whimper, I stepped back from the door. “Jared, please,” I whispered, knowing he could hear me. “We really need to talk.”

I gazed earnestly at the door, biting my lip with anxiety. ‘Open up!’ I bombarded the door with my thoughts.

It stayed resolutely shut.

Leaning my forehead against the door, I let out a groan. “Let me in, please! You think you understand but you don’t! Can’t you at least give me a chance to explain?”

I counted ten slow seconds in my head, my hope fading with each one, and then thumped the door with frustration. Tears filled my eyes and I quickly blinked them away.

 “Please,” I croaked, my lip trembling. I shifted the weight on my crutches, my arms beginning to ache. Deep down, I began to realise that no matter how hard I begged, he wasn’t going to open the door and I couldn’t linger here in the hallway any longer. It was past ten o’clock, and if anyone saw me, I could be in serious trouble. He was giving me no choice but to leave.

His parting words echoed in my head and anger clouded my brain. ‘How could he do this to me? I trusted him!’ I’d built him up so much in my head, moulding him into the perfect fantasy man. Reality was cold and unwelcome and I hated him for shattered my illusion.

 My limbs trembled as I stepped closer to the door. “I might not be the girl you thought I was, but you’re definitely not the man I thought I knew!” I hissed, the words slipping out bitterly. “I guess we were both wrong.”

And with one parting glance, I turned away and hobbled back to my room, my heart crumbling away. For one wild moment, I imagined my fantasy, where the door would burst open and he’d come running out. But nothing happened. And now nothing would.

Letting myself into my room, I threw aside my crutches and collapsed onto the bed, sobs heaving through my body.

It was truly over.

For good.

*******

You look as miserable as the dead.”

Startled, I looked up over my soggy cornflakes. Alex had sat down unnoticed in the seat opposite and was staring at me, his expression serious. The smell of bacon and eggs from his plate made me feel slightly nauseous.

 “Yeah, I know.” I replied. It was breakfast time and I was tired and cranky, having cried practically half the night. If it wasn’t for the fact that I’d eaten nothing the day before, I wouldn’t have bothered coming down. Yet even though I was incredibly hungry, I was having a hard time stomaching my food.