Chemical Attraction Chapter 13

Chapter 13

It was early afternoon and the bright morning sunshine had faded to a pale grey as the clouds billowed in the sky. I was sitting on my bed, absent-mindedly chewing my pen as I tried to solve a maths problem, when the knock came. Letting out a groan of irritation, I hurried to open the door, fully expecting it to be Alex or Jo-Jo. To my surprise, I found Mr Cooper standing outside, looking around warily.

“Is it alright if I come in?” he queried. I nodded my assent as I stood back to let him pass, discreetly inhaling the intoxicating scent of his cologne as he passed me. Hot and cold tingles ran down my spine.

“So what’s up?” I asked lightly, trying to hide my reaction from him.

“Well, the headmaster has just called a meeting with the science teachers after dinner so I can’t talk with you then after all.” Seeing my crestfallen face, he quickly continued. “So I thought we could talk now if you wanted to?”

“Sure,” I said with a smile.

I pulled out my chair from the desk for him to sit on, when I noticed the strangest expression his face. It was a mixture between embarrassment and shock which quickly changed to hilarity. His face twitched as he tried not to laugh, but then he let out an involuntary chuckle. Curious, I looked down to see what he was staring at and saw a packet of tampons sitting on my chair. I had carelessly tossed the packet there after buying them from the dispenser after lunch as a precaution. With lack of sleep, trauma and stress, my cycle had completely messed up.

Absolutely mortified, I grabbed the offending packet and rushed into my bathroom, locking the door behind me. I mentally cursed myself and shook my fists at my reflection, my face turning tomato-red. I heard Mr Cooper laughing even louder outside and I screwed up my face in humiliation. I couldn’t believe how many ways I had managed to embarrass myself in front of him in less than a week! I honestly couldn’t bear to face him again.

I heard Mr Cooper rap the door with his knuckles and then try to turn the handle. Realising it was locked, he called out,

“Phoebe, don’t worry. It’s honestly not a big deal to me. Please come out?”

“No way!” I yelled back childishly, my cheeks still burning. I wanted to rip the stupid packet into pieces.

I could hear the amusement in his voice. “Are you planning on staying in there all day?”

“Just until you leave,” I replied truthfully.

“And what about my lessons?” he challenged. “You’re going to have to face me at some point.”

I groaned internally. I had forgotten about that. It was so easy to forget that he was my teacher when we were together- dangerously easy.

“Come on, Phoebe,” he coaxed gently. “Listen, I lived with my ex-girlfriend during my last two years at university. Trust me, I have seen way worse than a packet of tampons. You don’t need to be embarrassed.”