Chapter One ~ The Unexpected Kiss

Author's Notes:

1. This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents are either the product of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events or locales or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.

2. Any criticism, and opinionated reference to any race in this novel is only for the benefit of the story and does not necessarily reflect that of the author.

The TUTOR © 2015 by Jeni Ronato. All Rights Reserved.

==========

REBECCA couldn't move, couldn't breathe. Cold sweat began to form beads on her temples. Ehab Al Ameri! How could could she not have thought of it? Now it all made sense. Sarah's familiar mannerisms that had left puzzled before were now clear as crystal about their origin.

Get a grip, woman! She scolded herself. She took a deep and steady breath and spoke more calmly than she actually felt.

"Good afternoon, Mr. Al Ameri." Her own voice sounded strange even to her own ears.

Sarah spoke in Arabic introducing Rebecca to her father. Ehab walked towards Rebecca. He chose to answer in English.

"I know who she is, baby." He said and then continued something in Arabic. Rebecca couldn't make out what he said to his daughter, but she saw Sarah's face lit up and she nodded.

Nana Mareng silently observed the two with keen eyes. Something was up with these two. She could feel the tension emanating from the woman beside her. If her hunch was right, it wouldn't be long until there would be good news in this family.

"Why don't you go with Nana Mareng, baby? Miss Rebecca and I need to talk." He chose to speak in English for Rebecca's benefit.

"Okay!" Sarah jumped out of her father's arms. Rebecca turned as if to follow Sarah and Nana Mareng as they turned to leave back into the dining area.

"Rebecca?" she was brought out of her reverie by his voice.

"This way, please?" He said, indicating the way to the room that was decorated to be his office. Ehab opened the door for her and gestured her to enter first. She followed and she could smell his familiar scent as she passed by him into the study. Suddenly, memories of his body pressed against hers came flooding in and she found it difficult to breathe. It felt like it had just been yesterday when all she wanted was his lips on hers. She mentally shook her head and reminded herself there was nothing more between her and the man in front of her.

"There is something left." He said and she looked up at him. Did she spoke it out loud? He was looking at her lips. What did he mean by that? She began to panic.

Ehab elaborated, "There is something left on your lip." He indicated the crumbs of the afternoon snack on her lip. She tried to brush it, but she missed. Ehab took a step closer and brushed the crumb off her lower lip. Rebecca stood frozen as his thumb lingered a moment longer than necessary. He sighed and turned his back on her to sit on his desk.

"Please take a sit." He requested. She sat not because he offered, but because her knees would give any moment now.

"How are you?" He asked gently.

"I am fine, Mr. Al Ameri. I-" she began, but she was cut short.

"Do you think, after all that has happened in the past, we could dispense with the formalities?" he said softly. He sat back on his chair and laced his fingers together as he looked at her.

"You are my employer at the moment. It is only sensible to be formal."

"Ah yes, I am. I would like to thank you for the progress you have made with my daughter." He said, relenting to her silent plea to speak solely of business.

"Well, she is an intelligent child. Which is why I believe she is now ready for formal school. It will start next month and it is not yet too late to enroll her in any school you choose. I could recommend names of a few schools that offer quality education. By then, you will no longer need my services, Mr. Al Ameri."

Ehab stared at her intently and she had a strong desire to squirm. "Are you running away again, Rebecca?" he asked.

"Mr. Al Ameri, I would very much appreciate it if you stop mentioning the past. It has nothing to do with now." She was relieved to hear her voice sounding so composed in contrast to the turmoil inside her.

"Alright. I'm afraid I cannot terminate your services yet, Ms. Min."

"Why not?"

"Because I believe you have a very positive influence on my daughter. I need all the help I could get to raise her well. It is not easy to raise a child alone, if you must know."

Believe me, I know. She wanted to say.

"I am sorry for your loss." She said in earnest instead.

"Are you? If that is so, then please stay a little longer for Sarah's sake. I am not always here, so you will not have to put up with my repulsive presence."

"I didn't say that-"

"No, you didn't, but it was as good as if you told me the day you ran away."

"Mr. Al Ameri, I-"

"She could have been our daughter, Rebecca, our child."

"I am sorry. I must go." She stood up.

"Yes, go. I am not in the right mind to speak to you right now."

Rebecca looked at him puzzled.

Ehab stood and walked around his desk to where she stood.

"How can I clearly think when all I want to do is this?" with that he took her in his arms and kissed her hard on the mouth. It was quick, hard and yet full of emotion.

He let her go before she could react. So shocked was she.

"See you later, Rebecca." with that, he turned and left her speechless.

To be continued..