Chapter 3

The first day of summer vacation, I saw my mom applying her makeup. “Mom, are you going out?” I asked her suspiciously.

                “Yes,” my mother replied. “I already cooked your lunch.” She was now arranging her things in her bag.

                 “Where are you going?” I asked.

                “Just at the mall,” my mom replied. “I’m going.”

                “Bye,” I said. When she left, I immediately took a bath and ate my lunch. I need to follow her. I don’t know if this was good or not. But I was really curious if my mom really was dating somebody. And worse, it was Gabriel’s dad!

                I was at the mall a few minutes later. So, where could my mom be? I went to the second floor but I didn’t saw her. When I went to the third floor of the mall I saw my mom walking and I followed her. I was really walking so fast that I accidentally bumped into someone.

                “I’m sorry,” I said apologetically.

                “Alice,” someone said surprised.

                I looked and saw Gabriel. “What are you doing here?” I asked him.

                “Why? Can’t I go to the mall now?” he said sarcastically. “So, you really are following me.”

                I rolled my eyes at him. I left him but he grabbed my hand.

                “I’m only kidding. Did you see my dad?” he asked me.

                “Why?” I asked him. Was he following his dad?

                He didn’t answer me. I nodded and he asked. “Where did they go?” So, he knows his dad was with my mom.

                “That shop,” I pointed. “I don’t know what shop that is.”

                We went to the shop and stopped at the entrance. Our eyes widened. The shop was a wedding shop. Why were they in here? Wait a minute! Were they planning to get married?

                “Are you thinking what I’m thinking?” I asked Gabriel.

                He nodded. He pointed at something and I saw my mom and his dad going out. We hid at the corner. I can’t believe this. Our parents were going to get married? Was this a dream?And they weren’t saying anything to us. Will they hide this thing from us until the day of their wedding?

                “We can’t let our parents get married.” I saidconfidently.

                “Yes.” he agreed.

                I am so glad he agreed. This is the first time we agreed on something, so this might work. First of all, I don’t know this guy my mom was dating even though he was Gabriel’s dad. And second I don’t want to be Gabriel’s step sister!

                What should we do? I asked myself.

                “I don’t want you to be my step sister,” he said miserably.

                I looked at him sternly. “And I don’t want you to be my step brother,” I said angrily. “Who wants you to be their brother anyway?”

                “I can think of many – “ he started but I interrupted him.

                “We need to plan something, remember?” I said glaring at him. This guy! I just can’t – arg! We need to stop their wedding okay. We need to!

                “We need to follow them,” Gabriel suddenly suggested.

                “Follow them? Hmm… that’s a good idea,” I said. “We should text each other when our parents are going to go on a date. We should follow them and see what their plan is.”

                Gabriel looked at me and nodded.

                That night I called Yvonne. “What?” she said loudly after I told her what was happening.

                “That’s insane, right?” I said to her. “And I can’t believe my mom isn’t telling me about it.”

                “Are you sure?” she asked me. “How did you know?”

                “They went into a wedding shop together,” I explained. “And Gabriel and I – “

                “Woah! Wait a minute!” she interrupted. “Gabriel and you?”

                I forgot to tell her. “Gabriel and I decided to follow them in their dates,” I told her.

                “Uh-huh. And you still hate him?” she asked me.

                “Yes!” I shouted but stop for a while. “I guess. But he’s being nice to me these days.”

                “Oooh!” she teased.

                “Stop it Yvonne!” I protested. “Hey! I need to go now! See you.”

                “Sure,” she said and we both hanged up the phone.