Chapter [11]

Because this book is now published, content stops after chapter twenty. Please proceed with this information in mind.  

E l e v e n

            When the taxi pulled up at the curb, Ryder and I sat in silence for a few long minutes. I didn't move I just stared blankly ahead, not wanting to look directly at the luminous glow of Ryder's house, knowing that he would see how broken I was. I didn't want to look out the window either. For one, I didn't want to get blinded by some random car's headlights, nor did I want the driver to freak out over my sad clown face. Noticing that Ryder and I weren't making any move to get out of the vehicle, the taxi driver turned around.

            "You kids gonna go-" He paused, looking startled, probably because I looked like a seriously depressed squirrel with the make-up running down my face. "Oh... Is... Is she okay?"

            The taxi driver looked totally scared as he quickly switched his attention to me, to Ryder and back again. I guess it'd be pretty freaked out if some teenage girl started crying in my backseat. Of course, I'd be more concerned about her getting make-up on her dress, but I figured he was more worried about what to do with me.

            "I think I have a tissue somewhere," he said, clumsily rummaging through his pockets. When he discovered he actually didn't have one, he frowned. "Oh, uh, sorry... I can't seem to find one. I swear I had one."

            I didn't say anything. Instead, I just stared blankly at him. After a moment, he said, "Hey, don't even worry about paying, okay, darlin'?"

            I managed a small, forced smile. But I guess I looked pretty scary because the taxi driver grimaced a little. I watched as he turned fully in his head and looked at Ryder. His eyes narrowed at him.

            "Wait a second... Did you hurt this young lady?" He glared at Ryder.

            Ryder simply shook his head and his tone emotionless, said, "I didn't."

            The taxi driver just kept his eyes on him. "You better be telling the truth, mate, 'cause I'll report you to the police if I find out you abused a little girl."

            I would have been more offended at the 'little girl' comment, but I didn't have the energy to really feel. It was as if my emotions had just hit the switch button and shut down, replacing my hurt with a dull numbness. To avoid any further conversation, I opened the passenger door and mumbled my gratitude to the driver. The icy air slapped my cheeks and blew through the flimsy material of my dress. A moment later, Ryder was at my side and leading us towards the house.

            It was warm inside. And bright. I tried not to look at Ryder. I shifted my gaze to everything in the room other than him. Silently, I was preparing myself for the humiliating teasing that I knew Ryder was ready to do. But to my surprise, he didn't mock me or say anything insulting. He didn't laugh or give me a smart ass, 'told you so.' Instead, he did the most scariest and wonderful thing.

            He hugged me.

            With his free hand, he pulled me into him and just held me there. At first, it was kind of scary. I thought he was attacking me so I was close to head butting his –non-existent- man boobs, but realising he was tugging me into an embrace, I tensed. His body was warm against mine, the hug tight, yet the way he held me was delicate, like my emotions had made my body fragile and I might have broken if he were rough. I rested my head against his chest and relaxed as he silently held me close; the tears stopping, the pain easing and at that moment, it felt like everything was going to be okay.