I Didn't Mean Literally...

This was requested by @nva_nva...
Hope you like it!

Will and Nico were fighting. They had been yelling at each other for hours. The other campers were getting headaches, but if anyone tried to approach them the attention was turned to them, and they would soon run away with insults being yelled after them.

Will was brutal: pointing out Nico's faults in an attempt to make the other boy back down. Nico was having none of it, determinedly firing back at every harsh word with another onslaught of yelling.

"Will you shut up for one minute?" Will shouted.
"Why should I?" Nico retorted.
"You never stop talking! Let me have a chance to speak for once!" Will exclaimed.
"Gods, you're so self-centred!" Nico threw his arms up.
"You're calling me self centred? You're the most selfish person I've ever met!"
"You have no idea what I've gone through! I deserve someone to care about me! And since you don't, it may as well be myself!" Nico was screaming now, letting years of pent-up anger out on Will.

But Will was on a roll now.
"People don't care about you because you deliberately drive them away! You have no regard for other people's feelings at all!"
"Says the guy who is trying to make me feel small!" Nico yelled.

But the words were getting to him. He had always feared that he was driving people away, that nobody cared about him. Shadows were collecting around him, and
he was visibly shaking.
"Oh, go to hell!" Will shouted.
"Fine!" Tears leaked from Nico's eyes as he turned and melted into the shadows.

Will was stunned. He hadn't meant it literally. I made him cry. He realised. He had never seen Nico cry. No matter what he had faced, he had always put on a brave face and refused to show weakness. If Will had managed to make him cry...

He had been so caught up in the moment, he hadn't even realised what he was saying until it was too late... Will was one of the few people who Nico had shared his fears with. And Will had hit a soft spot.

Reyna stormed over.
"What did you say to him?" She demanded.
"I..." Reyna slapped him.
"You know how insecure he is!" She shouted.
"It was..." Another slap. They weren't actually so has they hurt, but the message definitely got through.
"Stay away from him from now on, okay?" She growled.
"Reyna, I'm sor-"
"That doesn't fix it!" She yelled, towering over him. She turned on her heel and walked off, leaving Will feeling terrible.

~~~

It took a week. A week. That's how long it took for Nico to come back.

Will was scared to go near him at first. The frail boy looked even paler and thinner, like he could snap in half at any moment. Will wanted to comfort him, but he doubted Nico would want to see him. Reyna's warning still rang in his ears. He wasn't to go near him.

Nico walked around camp like a shadow. He stayed out of people's way, avoided crowds at all costs, never spoke up and constantly stood in the shadows, looking at his feet and trying not to be noticed.

But Will noticed him. He felt so bad. The boy was a walking skeleton, and it was Will's fault.
"Just talk to him." His siblings advised. "Apologise, and he'll forgive you." They told him.
Eventually he decided to do just that. I mean, it couldn't get any worse...

That night, when everyone was at the campfire, he slipped away. Nico was sitting alone at the edge of the woods, staring at his feet.

His back was to Will, and he didn't notice he had approached until Will was right behind him.

"I'm sorry." Will said. He doubted those two short words would mean anything, but it had to be said. Nico didn't react. Will walked around to his front and crouched in front of the boy. "I never should have said that..."
"But it's true." Nico's voice was barely a whisper.

"No, Nico. It's not. I only said that because I was mad. People care, I care!" Will said desperately. Nico looked up at him, tears on his lashes.
"But-"
"People care." Will insisted desperately. "You're wanted, you're loved."
"By who?" Nico asked weakly.
"By me." Will wrapped his arms around him and pressed his lips to Nico's.

When he pulled away after a few seconds, Nico collapsed against his chest, sobbing.
"I'm sorry." Nico whimpered.
"It's my fault." Will said, stroking the boy's head. "I'm the one who should be apologising."
"I started the fight." Nico said tearfully.
"That doesn't matter now." Will consoled him. "I'm sorry."
"I am too. Can we forget about all this?" Nico asked.
"Yes." Nico looked up as Will wiped away his tears.

The two boys stood, wrapped in each others arms. From a distance, they looked like any other teenage couple. But when it looked closer, you could see how the taller boy held the smaller one protectively, and how they undoubtedly loved each other.
"I love you." Will whispered.
"I love you too." Nico replied. And he meant it. With all his heart.

~~~

A/N: This was meant to be funny but I accidentally made it sad.