Chapter 3

Joy- Anna's p.o.v.

It was 6 o clock and Jackson, John and I were sitting down eating dinner.

"So what did Jinger want earlier?" John asked me.

I froze. I didn't want to say it in front of Jackson and was planning on telling John David later.

"She was just saying how they were adjusting." I lied.

I can't believe it. I never lie! I guess this move is changing me for the worse.

"Hm alright,  So how was school today?" John asked.

Wow he's acting like a parent. I've never seen this side of him before.

"I made 6 friends!" Jackson proclaimed loudly. "And one of them is a girl." He added proudly.

I tried to conceal my laughter with a cough. John gave me look.

"What about you Joy?" He asked.

"Fine I guess. I didn't know people in school were so mean." I said honestly.

"I guess kids like to pick on people that are different." I observed.

"How are you different?" John asked.

I gave him a look that said duh!

"Hmmm let me think... maybe because I wear a knee length skirt, have 18 siblings, and we all live in different states!" I snapped.

John recoiled.

"I'm sorry John. I want to fit in and I guess I'm taking it out on you." I apologized.

"Don't fit in when you were meant to stand out." He said, placing a hand on my shoulder.

"You guys are weird." I heard Jackson say, ruining the moment.

I laughed. "You're gonna have so much fun when your a teenager. You can act just like me!" I joked.

He made a face which made me laugh even harder.

"Enough you guys, you're spitting things out all over the table." John commanded. I obeyed and tried to stop.

"Jackson you need to take a bath tonight." John instructed.

"No I want to take a shower! Only little boys take baths!" Jackson insisted.

"Maybe if you ask nicely." John compromised.

"I mean, can I please take a shower." Jackson said in a quiet tone, looking up at John with puppy dog eyes.

"Yes, you can." John agreed.

I decided to go turn on the television. In our old house we weren't aloud to watch T.V. unless it was educational. I went to the news channel.

"In breaking news the Duggar family from the reality show '19 kids and counting' have split up! Their old house which was left deserted had been broken into by these 2 men." The reporter said, showing two pictures.

The first man had ginger hair and emerald eyes. The second had brown hair and blue eyes. They both looked fairly young. The second one had a tattoo of a bear on his right arm.

"The men came in fully armed and their motive is not clear. If you have seen this men, please call the number on the screen-" The T.V. was turned off abruptly.

I looked over and John was holding the remote. I frowned at him.

"Why'd you do that?" I asked.

"You don't need to be seeing that." He said quietly.

"What is going on with the house?" I asked nobody in particular but John answered anyway.

"Nothing." He said much to quickly. I gave him a confused look and he looked away. What did he know that I didn't?

"Go take a shower and get ready for bed Joy." He ordered, his back still turned.

"It's not even 8 yet!" I protested.

"Now!" He yelled in a voice which I had never heard him use before.

I huffed and walked away. "Fine I guess you'll never know why Jinger called." I said angrily.

I started storming away. I felt a hand pull me back. I turned and faced John.

"Joy I'm sorry I'm just really stressed out right now, I don't know why mom and dad did this to us." John apologized.

"Maybe they didn't want to." I said quietly to myself.

"What?" John asked.

"Nothing." I said.

That's not suspicious at all.

"Did mom and dad say anything to you before this happened?" I questioned him.

He scrunched his eyebrows. "They were acting a bit strange, but nothing in particular comes to mind." John said.

"Ok." I said. Hmmm I wonder if they weren't expecting this just like us. But what would make them just decide to do that on the spur of the moment?

"Joy you really do need to start getting ready for bed." John said gently, breaking my thoughts.

I nodded and hurried off. I had so many questions. Why would our parents do this? Why did they just leave our house? How did they're morals change overnight?

The questions ran through my mind as I got ready for bed. I lay in my bed and fell asleep while thinking about it.

A/N

Sorry it took me forever. My mom took my iPod. Grrrrr. And my iPod wouldn't let me update for a while. I have the greatest if luck. Note the sarcasm. Anyway I hope it's ok and not to short.

- hailey