Chapter Twenty-One

Hey everyone! First of all, I just want to say sorry for the late upload! I’ve been working non-stop at my job and I’ve just gotten back from a family trip. This week has been hectic to say the least! I hope you all like this next installment. As always, if you like what you read, make sure to vote, comment, and fan. Love you all!  -MKate

Chapter Twenty-One:

JANE

                My mind was racing as he walked into the room. Josh. Why was he here?! Had he come to see me? Even worse, had Cynthia invited him?! I turned away from Josh’s intense stare and looked at Cynthia.

                “Why the freak is he here?!” I whisper-yelled to her.

                “I don’t know! I didn’t invite him, if that’s what you think!” Cynthia’s eyes were just as wide as mine. She was telling the truth. I don’t even know why I doubted her. She was like my sister. She would never invite the man who dumped me right before our wedding to associate with us. She hated him just as much as I did for hurting me.

                I looked away from Cynthia just as Josh was making his final steps towards me. He had a strange look on his face, and he kept looking me over, as if I had undergone some major transformation. He, however, looked just as good as the day I met him. His blonde hair and blue eyes made him look stunning, yet approachable. Everyone always said we looked good together, because of our “All-American” looks.

                “Jane,” Josh said with a smile. He moved to hug me, but I stepped back slightly, and he let his arms drop awkwardly to his sides. I wouldn’t let him control me. I was an independent woman these days.

                “Josh,” I said in a stern tone, “What are you doing here?”

                “Some women at your store told me that you and Cynthia had gone here for a couple of weeks. I came to see you. I think we need to talk.”

                By this point, everyone in the room was silent, and watching us. Everyone knew how awkward this situation was, because they knew who Josh was, and saw our relationship implode. Everyone, but Finn, that is. But, Finn knew about Josh and he was a smart guy, so he had probably already figured it out. I wanted to look at Finn’s face. I needed to see what he thought of the situation. I hated caring about Finn’s opinion so much, but I couldn’t help it. Finn was addictive.

                “I’m not so sure about that,” I responded to Josh, “I think we did enough talking to know where our relationship stands.”

                “Please, Jane. I’m begging you. Just give me five minutes. Here, dance with me and we can talk at the same time. That way, all the other guests can carry on with the party and stop staring at us.” Josh said this last part loudly. Everyone scattered, except for Finn. He stayed against the back wall. He was holding his champagne glass and staring off into space, but I knew deep down that he was listening to every word Josh and I said. The music started back up and Josh offered me his hand. I took it and we began to spin around in a slow rhythm. All the while, Josh’s eyes were locked to mine.

                “God, I’ve forgotten how beautiful you are,” Josh said quietly.

                “Don’t say that to me. You don’t get to say that to me. You gave up that right when you left me. Remember?” I responded.

                “I know and it’s something I regret. I didn’t mean for you to get hurt like that. I didn’t love my assistant, and we’re not together anymore. She left me and said I worked too much and that really got me thinking,” Josh said.