Two | Best of You

"Were you born to resist or be abused?" 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  

Sitting on her floor, her back numb to the drawer knobs that were digging into her, her eyes bore into the door waiting for it to open. As a punishment, her father had thrown her into her room and locked her away from everyone. Her stomach rumbled, growling for some nourishment. Her father had made sure that she had missed dinner, and also breakfast. She hadn't eaten for at least twelve hours. Aside from the consistent rumbling in her belly, her eyes were sore from not sleeping. During the night, she had drifted asleep only to be awoken by Gabriel's shaking head and the realisation of disobeying her father. Sure, she had back-chatted to her father, maybe tested his limits but she'd never gone against him like this.

Kitty was glad though, that the punishment hadn't been as severe as it could have been. The bars on her window, and the lock on her door refrained her from escaping but at least she was in her own room. Her things were still here. She had the option to read, surf the internet, phone Eden... it wasn't like she'd been locked in the basement where the hostages were kept. She hadn't been confined to the cupboard either - that was his favourite punishment. It was an exact copy of the Little Ease from the Tower of London. The room was too small to stand, too small to sit. For the duration of the stay, the person was required to crouch uncomfortably. Kitty felt lucky that her father held some mercy for her. In all the years that she'd misbehaved, never once had she been sent there. Tales had circled around the pack, none with a happy ending.

Creaking broke her concentration from studying the scratch marks on her door. Easing herself off the cupboard and into a standing position, she patiently waited for the door to swing wide open. Her clothes were still the same as last night, if not slightly more rumpled. For the first hour of her punishment, she had slammed her weight against the door and screaming for someone to let her out. The fear of what her father had planned overwhelmed any sense. In the end, it turned out that her father had simply locked her in room, the normal punishment for misbehaving.

"Kit?" A sigh of relief broke from her lips. It was just Jordan.

"Thank God it's you!" She said. Running up to him, she engulfed him in the biggest hug she could manage. Even though Jordan was technically in line to be Nathan's beta, Kitty was closer to him. Jordan may have been two years older but it hadn't stopped them from hanging out. "I need food. And a shower. Maybe I'll take a bath while eating my dinner."

"Slow down." Jordan glanced behind him quickly, before pushing Kitty back into her room and closing the door quietly. Confusion was written all over his face, his dark eyebrows joining together. "You need to tell me what went on last night."

"Didn't anyone say anything?" She frowned. "Not even Nathan?" While she was closer to him, it was Nathan's responsibility to keep his beta informed. A lack of communication between those in (or nearing) power was always disastrous.

"All I know is that your father was mad. He's still fuming."

She sighed, running a hand through her hair. Her fingers got caught in the knots but she weaved her fingers through them. "I was taking a run and I went across the bridge. I must have crossed the border, and ended up in the neighbouring pack's land. Some rogues cornered me and the alpha saved me." She left out the fact that the rogues knew who she was and that she'd spoken out against her father.

"And?"

"And what?" Kitty hoped that Jordan hadn't sensed she was holding back. She didn't want to indulge the other event that had happened. Her ears would have burned in shame. How do you tell someone, one of your close friends, that your mate had rejected you? It was unheard of.