XXVIII. Crossing Paths

For long moments, Alia craned her neck, squinting after Adir and the other man, hoping the news would delay her departure. An actual night of sleep would be welcome before she and Kit took off across the desert again—and if she dwelt too long on the thought of leaving without Darine, her first real friend in who-knew-how-long, tears threatened at the backs of her eyes.

She busied herself scrubbing out her porridge bowl and checking the contents of her pack unnecessarily. At each sound of approaching people, she twitched around, anticipating Kit, but he didn't appear. The momentary respite from departure only made her more and more anxious. Nikka was distracted, playing with her son in their tent, and Alia was grateful. She couldn't have taken sympathetic questions right then.

Finally, when she thought she could take the wait no longer, Adir reappeared, striding quickly toward them. "Alia?" he called. She jumped up, dropping her pack unceremoniously in the cool sand, and hurried to meet him.

"Yes? Is it Kit?"

He shook his head in a wordless no. "Your other companions, they are here. The girl, she keeps asking for you—and for water. I thought you might could take her to bathe."

Darine! Alia's heart sang in sudden relief. Without waiting for more directions, her feet took off for the grotto where the water ran through, nearly skipping. Surely now Kit would wait.

The blonde Beldaran stood just at the entrance of the bathing area, looking tired, uncertain, and achingly familiar. Without making the conscious decision to, Alia flung herself forward for a tight hug that smelled of sweat and dust. "You're here," she said. Unexpectedly, she found herself sniffling pitifully.

"Thank the gods," Darine said, surprisingly serious-sounding. "Caddock's ankle was swelling more each day and he's been miserable, Alia, utterly miserable. Oh, it is good to see you!" She stepped back, looking Alia up and down. "Goodness, look at you! You look like an honest nomad! How curious. I think I like it—no, I definitely like it. D'you think there's an outfit for me as well? I'm a terror. I need a bath immediately."

Alia laughed, suddenly overwhelmingly fond of her friend's verbosity. "Oh, I'm sorry, that's why you're over here! Here, just through here, that's where they wash."

They stepped into the sun-dappled grotto together, and Darine sighed happily at the undulating water that framed the sandy floor.

"Oh, bollocks," Alia said suddenly. "I didn't bring you soap or anything. Um, hold on. I'll be right back."

She spun and jogged out along the path, head spinning in excitement."Nikka," she said, panting slightly as she tripped in next to the fire. "I'm sorry to keep asking favors, but do you have soap? And a cloth? And—this might be harder—would anyone have clothes for my friend? She's shorter than me—" she held her hand out next to her cheekbone, demonstrating "—and much more, um..." She gave up on words then, and curved her hands in an hourglass outline just outside her hips and breasts.

Nikka laughed heartily. "I will see what I can do. Here, you can have our soap and the cloth you used." She rummaged somewhere out of sight in the tent and extended the familiar length of linen and misshapen herbal soap lump.

"Thank you," Alia said, still catching her breath. She walked back to Darine, pace more sedate now, eyes glancing around in search of Kit and Caddock, though they were nowhere to be seen.

Inside, Darine had settled with her feet immersed in the water and a doubtful look on her face. "There you are!" she said. "So I'm supposed to just take my clothes off here?"

Laughing, Alia nodded. "I didn't like it either, but this area is for women only. No one will see you."

"Well, someone could see me." Darine pouted.