XXIII. The Cavern

As she munched slowly on some flatbread and dried meat, Alia thought about the Book and her unspoken theory. With the emotional clarity that came after crying, she was able to think more academically than she had in a while. Had Kit revealed his pain about killing the water spirit? Would that be enough to undermine the magic somehow?

"Kit," she said bravely, "I had just one more question."

He stiffened.

"It's important, I promise," she added softly. "I'm trying to help."

"I know," he said curtly, brushing crumbs off his dusty trousers. "Don't condescend to me."

She took a deep breath, ignoring his sharp words, and went on. "When you narrated your Story, did you tell them about the... the girl?"

Kit's dark eyes tightened painfully, shadowed by his browbone, but he answered calmly. "I did. But clearly the others saw things differently, since little of my perspective made it into the Story."

She nodded once and kept eating, as though she had no thoughts on the subject. Kit hadn't lied—at least about the girl. So there was no easy answer to the question of the magic's failure, then. And if he thought she was being condescending, he could bite his tongue. If anyone was being condescended to it was her.

A strong desire to throw a fuss came over her. She was basically the expert here. Alia was well accustomed to logic problems from her classes at the Librum—while no one else on this trip had any training. In any problem that required solving, there were relevant circumstances and conditions. She just had to identify them here and figure out which one was the problem. It was no different than a mental exercise for her, really—except that Beldara hung in the balance and an entire team of Scribes couldn't solve it.

She sighed. Maybe it was time to think about something else for a little while.

Her companion eased up as they walked further. Maybe it was the fact that they must soon be reaching their destination, or maybe it was because she hadn't asked any more questions. Either way, it was a relief to have his charming facade back up. Alia regretted every thought she'd ever had wanting Kit to stop trying so hard to be charming. Joking Kit was much, much better than mean Kit—even if it was a lie. I'm just going to leave it be and keep walking, she vowed.

But Alia was far better at making resolutions than keeping them.

Walking was incredibly boring without any companions other than the reticent grouch who led the way in front of her. Anything that had seemed beautiful in the desert now seemed repetitive. She couldn't even remember why she'd volunteered to go with Kit instead of staying with Darine and Caddock. Instead, she'd left poor Caddock alone and vulnerable, with no one to distract Darine from mooning over him. As the ground skimmed along below her feet, she reached down moodily to pick up an interesting looking rock. It was faintly sparkly and greenish gray. Pretty. She tossed it in the air a few times before malevolently eyeing the back of Kit's head.

Be good, said her Mami's voice in the back of her head. Alia sighed and threw the rock to the side instead of at Kit.

"What now?" he asked, turning to roll his eyes at her.

"What?" Alia widened her eyes.

"Oh, come on," he said. "Bakhar and the others probably heard that sigh." He gestured vaguely at the horizon with a dusty hand.

Another angry sigh slipped out without Alia's consent, puffing from her nostrils. Kit smugly raised his eyebrows.

"Nothing," she said pointedly. Chin held high, she stomped past him and onward in the direction they'd been going.