Bonus Scene: Happy Valentine's Day!

Hi there, lovely readers! This scene will not make it into the finished book, whenever that happens. But you all love Caddock and Darine, and I wanted to give you a little something for Valentine's Day. So, consider this a valentine from me to you. ;)

Darine sighed and shoved her tangled curls out of her face, sweating under the hot desert sun. I need to find a ribbon or something to get my hair out of my face, she thought idly. Thankfully, her curls hid its grimy state well, but she knew exactly how greasy and sweaty it was getting.

''Course, not like anyone will be running their hands through it soon. She remembered the young farmer's son who'd done just that, back before normal life had fallen all to pieces and Beldara had gone mad. Of course, he'd run his hands through her hair and then just about shoved his tongue down her throat. That part had been less than pleasant.

She looked at Caddock, unable to keep herself from thinking what kissing him would be like. As soon as she'd seen the brawny Hero, and he'd smiled at her ever-so-uncertainly, Darine had known. This was a real man. Muscled and kind and... wonderful.

He shifted in his seat against the sandy desert floor and sighed. And in pain, she added to her mental list.

"Are you sure you're all right?" she asked, feeling shy. He hadn't spoken much--not that he was ever talkative--since Alia and Kit had taken off.

The man looked startled to see that she was still there. He cleared his throat before speaking. "Oh yes," he said. "The bracing helped a lot."

Certainly Bakhar, the tribesman who guided them, had seemed like an expert as he bound up poor Caddock's ankle, but still. Darine could tell that the Hero's voice was tight. She longed to hug him, to somehow comfort him, but he was a Hero. The likes of her couldn't do much more than dream of comforting him.

Moodily, Darine kicked at a nasty little bush, just like the one that had tripped Caddock. Why am I even out here in the first place? Gods, what a mess this has all turned into. But she knew the answer--she was here to help her friend. Alia deserved better than she'd gotten from the Council. The problem was, Alia didn't seem to want help from anyone but Kit, and Kit didn't want help from anyone at all. That ass.

"Well," she said, trying to make conversation, "at least Kit won't be here to scold us."

Caddock looked uncomfortable, throat working under the patchy beard growth that had been appearing on his chin. "You oughtn't be too hard on him," he said awkwardly. "He's a good man."

Darine felt herself go red, warming her sunburn til it tingled, but Caddock didn't seem to notice. "I'm sorry," she said. "I didn't mean to-- I don't mean to be ungrateful. I... Thank you for letting me come along. You and him both."

Her blush just kept getting worse, as she remembered how brazen and insistent she'd been about coming along. She knew the tall man who sat before her hadn't exactly wanted to bring her with--but the uncertainty in his handsome green eyes had been quite obvious, and she simply hadn't taken no for an answer. Who would have expected a big strong Hero like this to be a pushover?

Caddock just nodded, finally making brief eye contact with the serving girl as he smiled a bashful smile. Darine's breath caught at the sight and she found herself grinning back.

"Sure," said the Hero gruffly. "You aren't any trouble, not really. I just worry..."

"Worry what?" she asked, reluctance forgotten in a rush of curiosity.

"Well, surely your parents can't want you running off with folks like us."

Darine found herself giggling. "They wouldn't mind, not really. And what they don't know won't hurt." With nine children, her parents had barely noticed she was gone when she took a position at the Librum--and oh, how her mother would flutter and fan herself if she knew Darine was with a Hero of the Book.

Before her companion could reply, movement in Darine's peripherals yanked her head sideways. "Oh," she said, almost disappointed to have her time alone with Caddock ending, "here comes Bakhar with the water."

Caddock grimaced, squinting at the distant figure. "S'pose I ought to stand up then."

She fidgeted anxiously as he painstakingly pushed himself to the side and eased up onto his good ankle. "You have it?"

"Yes," he grunted.

The Hero staggered as he stood completely, sucking in a sharp breath when weight landed on the braced ankle.

"Oh, don't be a fool!" Darine cried, bashfulness forgotten. "Here, you can lean on me." Before she could second-guess herself, she rushed to his side and tucked her petite body under the larger man's arm.

He had his eyelids closed tight against the pain, but when Darine tugged insistently at his arm, he opened those arresting green eyes and blinked down at her. Her blood froze entirely for one moment, standing still in her veins. She could smell the not-unattractive scent of his sweat and leather gear and some sort of soap.

"Lean on me," she repeated, voice much softer.

To her relief, the bulky Hero let his stiff muscles relax and leaned over against her shoulder, breath whooshing out of his mouth. She almost staggered with the weight, but locked her knees, determined to keep him from hurting himself.

"Darine," murmured Caddock, directly addressing her for what might have been the first time."

"Yes?" she breathed.

"Thank you for staying," he said.