"A Touching Story" (ENGLISH)

This story is dedicated to all people with brothers or sisters. I hope you always show your love to each other. :-)

******************************

Dear Patrick,

I was then an only child who had everything I could ever want. But even a pretty, spoiled and rich kid could get lonely once in a while so when mom told me that she was pregnant, I was ecstatic. I imagined how wonderful you would be and how we'd always be together and how much you would look like me. So, when you were born, I looked at your tiny hands and feet, marveled at how beautiful you are.

We took you home and I showed you proudly to my friends. They would touch you and sometimes pinch you, but you never reacted. When you were five months old some things began to bother mom. You seemed so unmoving and numb, and your cry sounded odd --- almost like a kitten's. So we brought you to many doctors.

The thirteenth doctor who looked at you quietly said you have the "cry du chat" (pronounced Kree-do-sha) syndrome, "cry of the cat" in English.

When I asked what that meant, he looked at me with pity and softly said "Your brother will never walk nor talk." The doctor told us that it is a condition that afflicts one in 500,000 babies. Mom was shocked and I was furious, I thought it was unfair.

When we got home, mom took you in her arms and cried. I looked at you and realized that word will get around that you're not normal. So to hold on to my popularity, I did the unthinkable... I disowned you. Mom and dad didn't know but I steeled myself not to love you as you grew. Mom and dad showered you love and attention and that made me bitter. That bitterness turned to anger, and then hate.

Mom never gave up on you.

Everytime she put your toys down, you'd roll instead of crawl. I watched her heart break everytime she took away your toys and strapped your tummy with foam so you couldn't roll.

And then one day, you defied what all your doctors said -- you crawled.

When mom saw this, she knew you would eventually walk. So when you were still crawling at age four, she'd put you on the grass with only your diapers on knowing you hate the feel of the grass on your skin.

Then she'd leave you there. I would sometimes watch from the windows and smile at your discomfort. You would crawl to the sidewalk and mom would put you back again and again. Mom repeated this on the lawn. Until one day, mom saw you pull yourself up and toddle off the grass as fast as your little legs could carry you.

Over the years, mom taught you to speak, read and write. From then on I would sometimes see you walk outside. I began to see the beauty of the world through your eyes. It was then that I realized you were my brother and no matter how much I tried to hate you, I couldn't, because I had grown to love you.

During the next few days, we again became close. I would buy you toys and give you all the love a big sister could give and you would reward me by smiling and giving hugs.

But I guess you were never really meant for us. On your tenth birthday, you felt sever headaches. The doctor's diagnosis -- leukemia. Mom gasped and dad held her, while I fought hard to keep my tears from falling. At that moment, I loved you all the more. The doctors told us that your only hope is to have a bonemarrow transplant. You became the subject of a nationwide donor search. When at last we found the right match, you were too sick and the doctor reluctantly ruled out the operations. Since then, you underwent chemotherapy and radiation.

Even at the end, you continued to pursue life. Just a month before you died, you made me draw up a list of things you wanted to do when you got out of the hospital. When you got out of the hospital we ate ice cream, cake, ran across the grass, flew kites, took pictures and let balloons fly. I remember the last conversation we had. You said if you die, and if I need your help. I could send you a note to heaven by tying it on the string of a balloon and letting it fly.

The last thing I told you was "I'll always love you and I will never forget you. Don't be afraid you'll soon be with God in heaven." Then with my tears flowing freely, I watched the bravest boy I had ever known finally stop breathing. Dad, mom and I cried until I felt as if there were no more tears left.

Patrick was finally gone, leaving us behind.

From then on, you were my source of inspiration. You showed me how to love life and you made me realize that the most important thing in this life is to continue loving without asking why or how and without setting any limit.

Thank you, my little brother.

******************************

Author's Note: People who don't usually appreciate their siblings or big brother / sister, I want you to hug them right now, yes NOW and tell them 'I'm lucky God gave me you' yes no joke, do it. :-) I love all you guys, and I hope you show your love to everyone! xx